Water changes, opinions on how much and often.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was doing a weekly water change of about 30 percent. But recently my stocking increased and testing showed that I was having a little ammonia now and then by the end of a week and the nitrates were creeping up, they went from 8 or so to the 20's. So now I worked up to doing 50 percent weekly.

I feel good consistent quality water is the most important element of a healthy aquarium. It is a closed system, not a lake or river where the water is being constantly renewed. They say, fresh water fish love fresh water, and it can be healing for bumps and lumps on fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I do 20% weekly and, so far, the water quality's been good. (0/0/<5). I do over-filter, have a lot of plants, and right now I'm under-stocked. I suspect I'll have to do more when I add more fish.

I think water changes are valuable even in a heavily filtered/planted tank, if only to refresh the water in the system. In most settings in the wild, new water is regularly entering the system. I figure that's a good thing to mimic. :bandit:

I believe in 50% a week. I also believe in extreme filtration. With both, you will have the best environment for your stock in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i have guppies and testing kit so test water every week but water is perfect so change 20% every 2 weeks .that works well for me.

I was doing a weekly water change of about 30 percent. But recently my stocking increased and testing showed that I was having a little ammonia now and then by the end of a week and the nitrates were creeping up, they went from 8 or so to the 20's. So now I worked up to doing 50 percent weekly.

I feel good consistent quality water is the most important element of a healthy aquarium. It is a closed system, not a lake or river where the water is being constantly renewed. They say, fresh water fish love fresh water, and it can be healing for bumps and lumps on fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

an elevated nitrate reading is to be expected if you increase the bio-load, but any increase in ammonia should be very short lived as the bacteria ramp up to handle the new bio-load.
If after about a week you are still getting readings of ammonia, you need to reconsider your filtration set-up and improve it.
Water changes alone won't compensate for an over-burdened bacteria colony or filtration system.
;)
ideally the only thing you should be able to measure in a cycled and established aquarium is nitrate, anything else and there is a fundamental problem with the filtration.

Back
Top Bottom