Water Changes using Python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've seen people say that they add water to their tanks that has already been treated with de-chlorinator after water changes. How do you do that with a Python siphon water change system? I have a 50 gallon tank so using buckets is not only time consuming, but also can be messy.

I've always just filled the tank back up from the faucet using the Python and then treated the tank with de-chlorinator once the fillup was finished. I've never had any problems in terms of fish health. However, I'm getting into more sensitive fish and want to do right by them.

So how do you do the safer water changes without defeating the purpose of the Python and its faucet hookup?

If you're using the python and putting chlorinated water directly into the tank, you have to add enough dechlorinator to treat the entire tank before turning on the filter.

The way I do it, I remove as much water with the python as I want. Add the dechlorinator, and then fill the tank back up with temperature matched water.

If you're using the python and putting chlorinated water directly into the tank, you have to add enough dechlorinator to treat the entire tank before turning on the filter.

The way I do it, I remove as much water with the python as I want. Add the dechlorinator, and then fill the tank back up with temperature matched water.

I have 55 and that's how I do it too

Drain the tank, Find the temp, dose the tank, flip the switch to fill and filler up! No problems. Except put a net on your out flow area, see my thread Water Changer Ate my cory. My water changer sucked up and killed my cory, went right down the drain. Plus sometimes you suck up, fish, fry, shrimp, plants you didn't mean to.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/water-changer-ate-my-cory-241938-4.html#post2349513

Many people apparently have done the same, just a net at the exit catches it all.

I just got a python for my birthday yesterday. I used it today to do a cleaning and water change. IT WAS AWESOME!!! No more buckets. No more water trail from my sink to the tank. Best birthday present ever! I actually added the water to the tank and then the dechlorinator. Now I know, do it the other way around. Glad this came up today. Thanks.

Drain the tank, Find the temp, dose the tank, flip the switch to fill and filler up! No problems. Except put a net on your out flow area, see my thread Water Changer Ate my cory. My water changer sucked up and killed my cory, went right down the drain. Plus sometimes you suck up, fish, fry, shrimp, plants you didn't mean to.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/water-changer-ate-my-cory-241938-4.html#post2349513

Many people apparently have done the same, just a net at the exit catches it all.
Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom