water changes with % and how often

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philc21

Aquarium Advice Activist
i am looking into getting a 120g tank and am wondering how often ill have to be doing water changes and wut percent change it would be the setup would probly be as follows 1 maybe 2 tiger oscars i doubt 2 though a gold severum a green terror a pictus cat maybe a jaguar cichlid and possibly an arrowana ( if n e thing is wrong with that combination someone let me know) like i said they will be in a 120g tank and ill have 2 fluval 404's running on it and i might have a bunch on freshwater clams in too to keep the nitrate level down so if n e of you could give me an idea on how often and how much id havta change the water n e help would be appreciated

Wow, Nice additions. I first would start in asking you if you are going to cycle your tank appropiately? If you are then these are the following steps sould be taken in determining Water Change habits:

1) Let the Tank cycle for about 4-6 weeks with starter fish or if you are going to have Cichlids, they now sell this special sand (aragonite that instantly cycles the tank).

2) I suggest that you also, figure out which fish would you actually like to best since Cichlid prosper in High PH as for the other selection of your not.

3) Also every week, a 10% Water change would be great keep in mind that you are going to have fish in the tank that do damage to the bio system BIGTIME(IF U KNOW WHAT I MEAN). Every 5 days, check your water Parameters and if Ammonia, Nitrite rise abovre 0PPM or Nitrate go above 20PPM, you ned to do an additional water change.

I hope this helps, feel free to write back. :mrgreen:

A correction: These are south american cichlids and prefer a LOW ph, of around 6.5-6.8. Some people will tell you as low as 6.2

For the fish mentioned, especially at adult size, you'll probably end up with 10-20% water changes weekly.

Look on this site for articles on fishless cycling. Using live fish to cycle is barbaric.

10% of a mature tank is normal.

they now sell this special sand (aragonite that instantly cycles the tank).
Argonite cycles a tank? I know it buffers the water, raising ph. I know that nitrifying bacteria will most likely colonize it. The only thing that I have heard of that will cycle a tank instantly is bio-spira...

Gotcha. The only argonite I have seen thus far was the stuff in bags next the crushed coral, sand, and gravel. Should I assume that it comes "wet"?

Yes. I've seen it in the stores. Its basicly a bag of argonite with water in it. Literally. If you buy this, I would be very careful to check for leaks before you put it in your car, etc. Hell, bring a bucket and set it in the bucket for the ride home and until you put it in the tank.

Or just buy a bottle or two of Bio Spira, you don't have to put 120gal worth of Bio-Spira in it since your tank won't be near full, and it'll seed the takn for future growth.

Phil~
I've got a 125g and I do 20% with gravel vac weekly
It takes me all of about 20-30 min(not bad since I do it weekly :)

I also have 2 fluval 404's that get changed every 2 months. And LOVE them!!!!!

If you are keeping SA cichlids avoid that aragonite sand in the interest of maintaining a lower pH, soft water tank, as mentioned above. Keep in mind too that cichlids tend to dig around in the substrate so if you are using rocks, place them in the bottom of the tank before you add your substrate, so that the digging will not cause the rocks to topple. Sounds like a great tank!

Back
Top Bottom