Water Clarity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

red_tide

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Water Clarity Problem

I recently switched my substrate from gravel to sand, and since then, I've had cloudy water. I've tried ~20% water changes and Accu Clear to clear the water up, and nothing is really helping. Any ideas on why the water is so cloudy, and what I can do to clear it up? Thanks!

Did you rinse the sand before you put it in your tank? I rinsed mine in a bucket over and over until the water in the bucket was clear. Then no cloudy water in the tank.

No. I did not rinse the sand. I realized my mistake a bit too late, but now I'm wondering what to do. Taking the sand back out I don't think would help, and have done a number of water changes which are not helping much. Not sure what to do now.

Yes it is stocked, and yes there are a few bottom feeders however I dont think that they are stirring up the sand. Any sand that does get mixed up usually settles pretty quickly. I guess I'll just give it time and see whats happens, and just keeping doing regular water changes.

I sort of ran into the same problem. I'm starting up a new cichlid tank and I forgot to wash the sand before putting it in. Right now I have very clear water and it's in the process of cycling (only gold fish in there now). I recommend...
1. take out the fish and put in another tank if possible
2. stir up the sand like your cleaning it with your hands
3. Do large PWC, almost 75%
4. Do this for about 4 days in a row
5. The Cichlid substrate I bought came with this product in a little package that helps clear up the water, but I forget what it's called. That seemed to help alot. Sorry I forget the name, something like bio-gel or what not :/
6. Cycle the tank

Cool thanks. Think I'll try that this week. I do have a smaller tank to put the fish in temporarily but not big enough to let the other tank cycle. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

I cannot find the name of that clarifier product, but if you go to your local petsmart, and check out the bag of sand: "CaribSea Aquarium Substrates: African Cichlid mix". Look at the directions in the back and it mentions the product that helps clear up the cloudy sand water. Than maybe you can find it sold separately somewhere

(also clean the filter after you do the water changes to remove the cloudy stuff)

Good luck!

Sounds like good advice as far as stirring up the sand and then doing a massive water change. Just be sure to turn your filter off while you do it! Sand in your impellers can be a death sentence for a filter, I think that's what killed my last one, actually. Oh well, it gave me an excuse to upgrade. Turn your filter back on once the bigger particles settle but before the fine stuff does, although hopefully you'll get most of the fine particles with the water changes. Good luck!

Alyxx said:
Sounds like good advice as far as stirring up the sand and then doing a massive water change. Just be sure to turn your filter off while you do it! Sand in your impellers can be a death sentence for a filter, I think that's what killed my last one, actually. Oh well, it gave me an excuse to upgrade. Turn your filter back on once the bigger particles settle but before the fine stuff does, although hopefully you'll get most of the fine particles with the water changes. Good luck!

I use a cut piece of panty hose on my strainer to avoid ruining my filter

boadams87 said:
I use a cut piece of panty hose on my strainer to avoid ruining my filter

Good idea! I'm pretty sure I have a pair with runs in it somewhere that I could use. I'd much rather put it to use in my tank than wear them, haha.

Alyxx said:
Good idea! I'm pretty sure I have a pair with runs in it somewhere that I could use. I'd much rather put it to use in my tank than wear them, haha.

Lmao. Alot of us use it

I've used it to protect fry before myself. Works way better than cheesecloth, which I have used as well. Just didn't think about using it to protect the filter from sand.

Back
Top Bottom