Water Clarity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
My favorite tank is my 72 gal bowfront. It's been a well cycled thickly planted community tank and crystal clear for over a year. I put some new LFS fish in it too soon and Ich showed up after a couple days. To fight the Ich, I gradually raised the temp to 86. The water got cloudy. Does anyone know a reason for this or whether it is typical or not when the temp is raised to 86?

Is it a possibly out gassing of the water? At higher temperatures, the water will hold less gas, so all gases will come out of solution. Do you have an air pump to get some extra surface agitation going in the tank to allow oxygen to get back into the water?

Outgassing shouldn't be described as clouding the water by most people. My guess is some form of bacterial bloom due to the increased temps. Is it possible you lost a fish? Or some plants rotting in the tank? In a large tank such as yours the bacterial population can explode if given free ammonia, and so could be a possible cause of the cloudiness.

The other obvious thing would be accidental stirring of the substrate. You didn't get a large pleco or loach right? (you didn't mention WHAT the new fish were) Those could be rummaging around at the bottom stirring up all sorts of gunk.

I lost a neon, but I got him out soon after he expired. I did some stirring of the substrate myself by rearranging some plants. It usually settles down better though. Anyway, it cleared up on its own overnight so it looks like everything's ok.

Back
Top Bottom