Water cloudiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey214

Aquarium Advice Freak
What can be making my water slighty cloudy ? Just did a water change this afternoon at 12 . . . I have a 29 gallon tank with a 50 gallon hang on back aqauclear filter and this is my stock . . . Any thoughts ?

Attachments

• image-3471126371.png
    image-3471126371.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 51
Is it a new tank? It could be a bacterial bloom. It could also be oxygen bubbles from the water change.

KaylNeko said:
Is it a new tank? It could be a bacterial bloom. It could also be oxygen bubbles from the water change.

Fairly new it's been cycled for a month now though , the oxygen bubbles will make the water look cloudy?

They can if in the right formation, so to speak. With it being new, I'd be more inclined towards bacterial bloom or what okapizebra said about stirring up the substrate.

okapizebra said:
Did you stir up a lot of debris from the substrate?

I don't think so ? Think I should rinse out the filter media in a bucket of tank water ?

You can. If it's a bacterial bloom, it won't do much I don't think--those, from everything I've read, clear themselves up after a bit. But it won't hurt, and if it's clogged, it might help. :)

KaylNeko said:
You can. If it's a bacterial bloom, it won't do much I don't think--those, from everything I've read, clear themselves up after a bit. But it won't hurt, and if it's clogged, it might help. :)

I will rinse the filter media out in the am !

sounds like a good idea. If it isn't clogged then it's probably a bacterial bloom and you'll just have to let that run its course.

okapizebra said:
sounds like a good idea. If it isn't clogged then it's probably a bacterial bloom and you'll just have to let that run its course.

How intense or how much can I rinse on the filter media in a bucket of tank water ? Cause last time I did it seemed it wasn't becoming clean an I didn't want to over do it

You don't want to go crazy. Just swish it around it the bucket to get any large particles off. Just be sure to never use tap water to rinse your media.

How did you cycle the tank? Has it been cycling for a month? Or did you just finish cycling a month ago? There is a big difference there. ;)

You have new tank syndrome or a bacterial bloom. I suggest you do PWC every other day and slow down on the feeding. It's a common thing to happen and is nothing that you have done wrong. It will clear up on its own. In my expirence you can get stuff from the pet shop but PWC will soon sort the problem out.

meegosh said:
You don't want to go crazy. Just swish it around it the bucket to get any large particles off. Just be sure to never use tap water to rinse your media.

How did you cycle the tank? Has it been cycling for a month? Or did you just finish cycling a month ago? There is a big difference there. ;)

I finished cycling a little over a month ago and I used pure ammonia

Back
Top Bottom