Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2003, 05:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Water Colour

Water is opaque in colour.

Lots small waste moving around at all levels in the tank. Not using a heater. 3 oranda and 1 plant in the tank.

Bought a new Rena Compact Aquaramaョ 60 http://www.rena.net/cgi-bin/trans.pl...arama_60.shtml This has the following filter, Rena Filstar iV, pic 1 or 2 @ http://www.rena.net/cgi-bin/trans.pl..._filstar.shtml

Started tank with UK tap water and used old filter along side new filter to help build up bacteria. Is the old filter causing me problems? It's not a pumped filter but one that draws air through it.

Tank has been running for a 8 days now. Done a 1/4 water change on 8th day using syphon to remove waste from sand and put some activated carbon in the filter.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you mean waste as in cloudy water or really waste from fish floating around.

If its cloudy water... it's perfectly natural and will go away soon but if it's waste floating around...i will recommend you to buy a better filter

Old 07-06-2003, 06:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, if the tank has only been running for 8 days, then you really should not have any fish. The tank needs to go through a cycle.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank? Goldfish (like Orandas) are DIRTY fish. Lots of waste. If you don't have a large tank you'll need to do MANY water changes to keep things clean. You need to gravel vac the tank when you water change, and get the poo and the uneaten food up and out of the tank. Despite the myth of the "goldfish bowl", they need large tanks (like up to 10 gallons each) because of the size they get and how messy they are. I don't have goldfish; I keep angels, loaches and a plec. The plec is ALSO a majorly dirty fish (the poop machine LOL). I gravel vac my tank 3 times a week to keep up with it (and its a 29 gallon tank with a 55 on the way this summer to accomodate the size the plec and loaches will get).

Also, whats the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? The old filter may not be enough to handle the bio-load (you don't say if the fish are new, or you just changed their tank).
Old 07-06-2003, 08:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hrmm. Just came across a goldfish website that may ALSO have an answer. What are you feeding your fish? You may want to change it; read the letters on the Misc Water Problems on the lower half of this page: http://www.goldfishinfo.com/water.htm
Old 07-07-2003, 04:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Water Colour

Sorry for delay in getting back to you all. PC playing up.

Looks like I,ve been over feeding. Was doing it twice a day with a large pinch of food. Reduced it to 1 good pincha day and water is now crystal clear.

Have a vac to clean tank. Will try and use it more often.

Thanx all.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Glad the tank is better - just keep doing water changes.

We bought a variety of test kits - ph, nitrate, ammonia and carefully monitored the water. This kept us enteraintained and helped explain any deaths.

Don't worry of it feels like fish killing rather than keeping in the few three months - at least you have foudn this website

Tags
colour

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com