Water conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peteostler43614

Aquarium Advice Activist
What does everyone recommend for water conditioner? I have heard mixed reviews about both prime and API stress coat. I appreciate your comments

I started out using stress coat but ended up switching to prime mainly because it is more concentrated and costs less. I've also never heard anything bad about either of them.

+1 Prime

Never heard any negatives about it (or Stress Coat or Amquel+) but you also get the most bang for your buck per bottle so you end up spending less.

Just look at the price and see how many gallons or liters it works on go with the one that's most affordable yet covers the most water .

I used stress coat but am getting prime when it runs out .

Just wanted to note that although they all effectively act as a dechlorinator some conditioners do different things too, so it also depends what you're looking for. Prime and Amquel+ have ammonia-removing benefits while API Stress Coat has aloe that supposedly helps with a fish's slime coat.

Just wanted to note that although they all effectively act as a dechlorinator some conditioners do different things too, so it also depends what you're looking for. Prime and Amquel+ have ammonia-removing benefits while API Stress Coat has aloe that supposedly helps with a fish's slime coat.
I have used both and prefer Prime. Both do the job but Prime lasts a LOT longer and works out cheaper, even though I have to import it. Both provide Slime Coat but I found the API left a slime coat on all my equipment too. Also if you use Purigen or plan to use it, you will need Prime in the recharging process.
There is another version of Prime, a powdered version called Safe which is at least 4x more concentrated than Prime, so it has the potential to last years!!!

If you have purigen it may not recharge if you are using a water conditioner with slime coat protection in your tank. You can't go wrong with prime or safe (which I use) because its made by the makers of purigen.

I used to use Stress Coat but switched to Prime. Does Stress Coat still cause skimmers to freak out?

I see the formation of a new group "Stress Coat Anonymous"

Hi, I'm Mebbid and I was a stress coater. It's been 2 months since my last stress coat.

Back
Top Bottom