Water conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My water conditioner is getting low so I'll be buying anew one so out of all these, which ones have you heard of and which do you recommend?

Weco DeChlor
Aqueon Water Conditioner
API Tap Water Conditioner (what I'm currently using)
API Stress Coat
NovAqua Plus
AmQuel Plus
Prime (I can't stand the smell of it)

Prime, deal with it :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use safe, only thing with safe is that it will not act on heavy metals like prime will.

Ever body's water is different. Some is great and some is awful. One thing I do know is that Prime has proven itself time and time again..

Last edited by a moderator:
At a local fish club meeting Joe Gargas talked about several methods of chlorine removal including the use of Ascorbic Acid or Vitamin C. Who knew? See page 5 for details in the August 2012 edition of "The Filter" (Tampa Bay Aquarium Society).

I'm not sure that Vitamin C will deal with chloramines but will with chlorine. As the article states, "TEST, TEST, TEST to make sure.
That said, I use PRIME as it will also work on heavy metals and ammonia/ nitrite/ nitrate toxicity. The difference between PRIME and SAFE is that SAFE does not have the slime coat protection since it is in dry form ( as stated by the SEACHEM rep I spoke with) and considering the cost of Catalytic Carbon as stated in the article, the PRIME is much cheaper and does more things.

As for JoeMan's comment on Sodium Thiosulfate , that does not break the bond between chlorine and ammonia so if your water starts with chloramine, Sodium Thiosulfate will not dechlorinate.

How do I test my tap water for chlorine and chloramine?

I am a Prime devotee. It has saved my fish many times. My appreciation is especially for the part that makes heavy metals safe as one can't ever know if they have it in there or not.

As for AmquelPlus it is great for water with lots of minerals harder water. It is dangerous for water with low KH, mineral content. It relies heavily on using/binding calcium and minerals with the unsafe stuff in the water to make it safe, this can crash your tank if you have very low, low kH.

Do not use this if you have soft water to be on the safe side.

(I killed so many fish by using this in low KH water after major pwc/filter clean outs in 3 large tanks / I am no scientist but did plenty of research after the tank crashed).

Works great in harder water though.

My recommendation is to read up on the manufacturer's information, just so that you know as much as possible about the chemicals you use in your tanks.

Prime works similarly but not using as many minerals from my basic understanding.

For interest there are some old-school fish-keepers here (at least I assume old school) who age their water in bins and use that (no treatments of anything). It sounded like they have been doing this for years with no issues. I thought yikes, I'm not that confident - it would only take one bad time.

From what I know of our tap water it seems doable. Local water is treated with chlorine so aging water will allow it to gas off so ok. But water sent further away is treated with chloramines. I'm never quite sure which I will get as the water company doesn't have detailed info.

I use the Python water changer when I do water changes so letting the water sit and age is not an option for me.

Good question. I've never tested for these. I just assume one or both are in my tap. I believe pool test kits for chlorine are designed for detecting chlorine at much higher levels than what is typically present in tap water. As for chloramine, not sure how to test for that without breaking the bond first.
I use the Python water changer when I do water changes so letting the water sit and age is not an option for me.

In this case, adding the product of your choice directly to the tank is your *only* option. (*Okay, one can setup a storage bin as a staging area for the new water and later pump it in...)
I'm not sure that Vitamin C will deal with chloramines but will with chlorine. As the article states, "TEST, TEST, TEST to make sure.

True. I should have stated the scope of this approach.
Luckily, through a local fish club, I get notifications about changes in water treatment from my local water company (e.g. - increases in the amount of chloramines).

You should be able to find annual review [test] for your water in a link of your supplier...Check your bill if you don't know ho is your supplier???
I am safe for my tanks.
Both Brook and Andy have valid points.
Common keepers do well with Prime.500ml should last a long time...
I have in the past used both the kordon products without issue, but the seachem is cheaper...

I've used just about all the ones mentioned, they all work. I personally can't tell if there is a "better" conditioner and my fish won't tell me.
I currently use API and Prime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am a Prime devotee. It has saved my fish many times. My appreciation is especially for the part that makes heavy metals safe as one can't ever know if they have it in there or not.

As for AmquelPlus it is great for water with lots of minerals harder water. It is dangerous for water with low KH, mineral content. It relies heavily on using/binding calcium and minerals with the unsafe stuff in the water to make it safe, this can crash your tank if you have very low, low kH.

Do not use this if you have soft water to be on the safe side.

(I killed so many fish by using this in low KH water after major pwc/filter clean outs in 3 large tanks / I am no scientist but did plenty of research after the tank crashed).

Works great in harder water though.

My recommendation is to read up on the manufacturer's information, just so that you know as much as possible about the chemicals you use in your tanks.

Prime works similarly but not using as many minerals from my basic understanding.

Just bought some Amquel plus and I guess it's going in the trash....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Solid info autum!!

Good question. I've never tested for these. I just assume one or both are in my tap. I believe pool test kits for chlorine are designed for detecting chlorine at much higher levels than what is typically present in tap water. As for chloramine, not sure how to test for that without breaking the bond first.
Not to be a stickler. ;) but if your water supplier is using chloramine, there is no reason for them to also use chlorine as it's part of the chloramine. :whistle:
Pool test kits will test for chlorine levels from the tap as long as you don't get one that only tests high range amounts.
As for testing for chloramine, there doesn't appear to be reliable test kits specifically for this however, you just need to call your local water supplier and ask them if they are using it. It's not a secret and they will tell you. ( Just say you need to know for your aquarium.) Once you know it's there ( or not there) then you can use the appropriate conditioner for your water. (y)(y)

Back
Top Bottom