Water conditioner disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fullmoonnight

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I bought a new water conditioner with nitraban (it's tetraaqua) I normally use the one without nitraban that says it's compatible for saltwater and freshwater. I've been using the new one with nitraban for all my tanks the past week but today I changed my goldfish water and disaster has struck. I've lost 2 fish and I'm trying my best to save the rest. Does anyone know why this is?

-edit- 3 by the time I posted this :( this last one was a small fantail and it's stomach looks awfully bloated. I don't know what's going on. This stuff worked fine for all my tropical fish.

-edit- 4 now. The rest of the fish are becoming more stable though.

I have no experience with that brand. Have you tried Prime? It stinks but it works really well and can be used more concentrated with no ill effects.
Good luck!

I have no experience with that brand. Have you tried Prime? It stinks but it works really well and can be used more concentrated with no ill effects.
Good luck!

No I haven't but it sounds good. I'll look into it.

Oh god, 5 now. The horror won't stop... :( :bawl: I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight.

So sorry for your losses! I've never used that type of water conditioner before however I can say that my friend recently lost his entire tank from bad water conditioner. I'll have to see what kind he used maybe it had the same stuff in it

I have doubts that the water conditioner harmed your fish. I've never head of what you are using, but still, I would say you have something else going on.

What are your parameters?

Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
pH?

What size tank/filtration/stock do you have?

You used the Tetra Easy Balance with Nitraban, correct? Its not a water 'conditioner'. Its a water 'additive'. It does nothing for dechlorinating or detoxing heavy metals. The exact chemical ingredients Tetra will not reveal but its 'supposed' to reduce water changes to once every 6 months. It sounds a bit preposterous! Obviously, whatever chemicals are in this product affected your goldfish as well as the chlorine/chloramine that was added with the water change.

I would suggest a good water change or two with an actual water conditioner/dechlorinator along with a good gravel vac because this product is supposed to stay in the gravel indefinitely.

You used the Tetra Easy Balance with Nitraban, correct? Its not a water 'conditioner'. Its a water 'additive'. It does nothing for dechlorinating or detoxing heavy metals.

YIKES. yeah thats your problem.

When you buy a water conditioner make sure it says on the front of the label that it Removes Chlorine, Chloramine, and Detoxifies Ammonia.

Oh my goodness. :banghead: I can't believe I didn't read that! It was just sitting beside the other one I normally use on the shelf at Wal-Mart so I thought "meh. Let's try this new one." ARRRGGHHH. It said "water conditioner" on the front too so I just grabbed it.:facepalm: I'm so mad at myself right now.:mad: 6 fish! 6 of my adorable fish! That's 6 lives that could have been spared if I had read it carefully.:nono: One large fantail died this morning in the hospital tank. It was my Mom's fish... she was disappointed when she heard. Uggh. luckily I rummaged through the stand and found a trial package of actual water conditioner last night and put it in, in order to save the rest of the fish. I still lost 6 fish though. I feel like a murderer now. :bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::facepalm:

Don't be hard on yourself! You had the very best of intentions, you are responsible and perform water changes, that is something to be proud of! Nobody can be perfect all the time, try not to blame yourself.
*hugs*

If you sign up for tetracare.com they will send you $1 coupons for Aquasafe and Safestart regularly. In my area, tetra products are about all you can find. I almost bought the wrong stuff myself. I just happen to be one of those people who reads the back of packages so I caught it in time. Sorry about your fish.

Good luck!

Prime itself is more concentrated than most conditioners, hence, you can dose less for the same amount of water. Regardless of conditioner, I wouldn't dose more than the bottle recommends. There is no benefit in "concentrating" in your tank.

OP - glad you figured out what the problem was... unfortunately not in time. Don't beat yourself up, we all make mistakes!

That is heart breaking, so very sorry for your losses. We aren't perfect, you were doing what you were supposed to which was do water changes. This is tragic but not the end of the world, although it probably seems like it from where you are now. I had a tragedy myself this morning so I completely understand the pain. You are not a goldfish muderer, murder is an act of intent.

Thank you for trying to cheer me up. It's so tragic when you see them floating on the verge of death but can't help. I have most certainly learned my lesson. Although, I was very scared about doing another water change afterwards...My remaining goldfish are true troopers. I can't believe they can survive with a dimwit like me.

Keep your chin up alot of people can not understand how much we love are little guys but they become part of are family and we love them. Sorry for your loss. I use prime IMO it is the best thing on the market.

Keep your chin up alot of people can not understand how much we love are little guys but they become part of are family and we love them. Sorry for your loss. I use prime IMO it is the best thing on the market.

Thanks. It's amazing how these little guys become so important.

How are your fish doing now?

Doing good :) Some have grown....alot. I gave one away to my friend in hopes that it will have a better life ( which I regretted as soon as I left my house with the little guy in the morning. I miss him :( ) I think it's about time that I check on him though...

Doing good :) Some have grown....alot. I gave one away to my friend in hopes that it will have a better life ( which I regretted as soon as I left my house with the little guy in the morning. I miss him :( ) I think it's about time that I check on him though...

Check in on him and sometimes the person who gets the fish may regret the decision too or prefer a different kind of fish, so you might get get him back...

Dont feel bad dear. i once transfered fish into a new tan with no water conditionr. too. it happens. i lost 3. did figure it out for a week! i was new back then.
:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom