Water Conditioner with Purigen??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, i was wondering if anyone had the names of any other water conditioners that i can use when re-charging my Purigen. It must not be amine based..I currently use Prime but it is quite hard and expensive to get in Ireland..I can get it in my lfs but it is 20euro($25) for the 250ml bottle. I do like this product but it is costing me a fortune!!. I can import it but it works out roughly the same when you add shipping..I will continue to use it for de-chlorinating, but need something else to use when recharging it...I know it's a long shot but does anyone know where i can get Matrix in Ireland???-same issue as above...All advice greatly appreciated...Ian

Hi Ian! Are you simply looking to remove the chlorine bleach that you are using when recharging inexpensively so it's fish-safe? Try sodium thiosulfate. It needs to be crystals/powder (pentahydrate) but it's very inexpensive (pound for a couple of dollars). It's also the basic ingredient that almost every single water dechlorinator/conditioner on the market contains. You can mix up super strong bottles of dechlorinator with this stuff as needed. What I don't know is if it's something available in Ireland. If not, it may be worth the shipping cost because this stuff lasts a long, long time.

Hi Ian! Are you simply looking to remove the chlorine bleach that you are using when recharging inexpensively so it's fish-safe? Try sodium thiosulfate. It needs to be crystals/powder (pentahydrate) but it's very inexpensive (pound for a couple of dollars). It's also the basic ingredient that almost every single water dechlorinator/conditioner on the market contains. You can mix up super strong bottles of dechlorinator with this stuff as needed. What I don't know is if it's something available in Ireland. If not, it may be worth the shipping cost because this stuff lasts a long, long time.
Yeah just to remove the chlorine bleach, i will have a look for that and let ya know how i get on...Thank a mill..Ian

This is probably a dumb assumption here from someone on the other side of the pond, but I am guessing if a product is available for sale in the UK that it would be available to you? Amazon uk sells sodium thiosulfate fairly reasonably. Look under pond stuff/dechlorinators, reef products or pool chemicals/dechlorinators.

This is probably a dumb assumption here from someone on the other side of the pond, but I am guessing if a product is available for sale in the UK that it would be available to you? Amazon uk sells sodium thiosulfate fairly reasonably. Look under pond stuff/dechlorinater, reef products or pool chemicals/dechlorinater.
It is not a dumb assumption at all, most of what is available in the UK is available to us. I have Friends/Family there so i'll check it out and i might just have to give that aunt(who i haven't seen in about 25yrs) a call!!!!!. Thanks jlk and i'll keep everyone updated...Ian

Back
Top Bottom