Water conditioners and water clarifiers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BethanyBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi again! So, I am doing a fish in cycle - I would've done it before I got the fish, but my son brought it home in a baggy - surprise, mommy! - the day before yesterday, and I didn't really have a choice, lol. So in the 29 gallon tank there is the live plants, one 1-2 inch fan tail goldfish, and two small snails, one of which has been floating (no not dead) since last night. I did a 50% water change yesterday, as well as one today. Water is still insanely cloudy, visibility is quite low. The little goldfish tends to stay in the back down by the bottom. Sick, maybe? I have a liquid test kit, but I don't have a chart to show me what the colors they turn mean (kit given to me without one). Additionally, I'm concerned that all the things being added to the water are maybe too much? Especially all at once? Sigh. I'm such a newbie to this whole thing. Help!

Whats your filtration? Ill post thr chart for your test kit. Is it API?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I believe the API website has the color chart printable?
Here's a link: Free Downloads | Pump & Filter Instructions | Test Kit charts

Water clarifiers are unnecessary. Your water is cloudy due to bacterial bloom caused by the levels of ammonia. When your tank starts to cycle and your ammonia goes down it will clear on its own. The ONLY thing you need to add for a successful tank is water conditioner, to your tap water when you do a water change (y)

Goldfish is probably stressed from high ammonia levels. Might be good to check and then if they're above 1ppm do a water change.

Thanks! I took a screenshot. :)

Okay, good to know on the water clarifying front. I checked the ammonia after the water change, and it was a really light yellow. So at zero-ish? He's been hanging out there since yesterday afternoon.

Thanks! I took a screenshot. :)

Okay, good to know on the water clarifying front. I checked the ammonia after the water change, and it was a really light yellow. So at zero-ish? He's been hanging out there since yesterday afternoon.

Could just be stress. Is there anything else about him that indicates illness- appetite, anything on his exterior, heavy breathing? I would guess cycling stress but you never know with goldfish- they're sacks of disease :facepalm:

Whats your filtration? Ill post thr chart for your test kit. Is it API?

I have a whisper 40, or something like that. It's for a 30-40 gallon tank, I think?

Check your trites and trates.. This will help us and you know what part of the cycle its in. Low Ammonia doesnt mean your out of the woids yet... But your gettin there.

Check your trites and trates.. This will help us and you know what part of the cycle its in. Low Ammonia doesnt mean your out of the woids yet... But your gettin there.

You didn't see the other post, this tank only just started... yesterday? I think the ammonia just hasn't quite built up yet. Still a ways to go.

Could just be stress. Is there anything else about him that indicates illness- appetite, anything on his exterior, heavy breathing? I would guess cycling stress but you never know with goldfish- they're sacks of disease :facepalm:

He kind of shimmes and bumps up against the glass too. Doesn't really go up to the surface much.

Back
Top Bottom