Water conditions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shelbi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had a 10 gal for almost 6 months now, and been struggling with water conditions. Now the problems is alkalinity/ph, and the hardness of the water. They are high and I need to get them down. I deep cleaned it a couple days ago and did a 50% water change, got new bio max/carbon. What other things could I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would check your tap. If the water comes out that way (high) you will constantly be battling this issue. If it does come out of the tap that hard then I suggest searching for fish that will do better in that water type

your tap water is probably hard , they best thing to do is get fish that like hard water
second best would be to get a ro filter that would remove the hardness(do not use a home water softener it replaces the minerals with salt

you are wasting your money using carbon, it only lasts a few days at most , you would be better off using chemipure or puregen , they do a better job and in a small tank would probably last a year before needing a regeneration

Regardless of water changes if the tap is hard like we've suggested replacing hard water with hard water won't change it at all

Your Tank Situation

I've had a 10 gal for almost 6 months now, and been struggling with water conditions. Now the problems is alkalinity/ph, and the hardness of the water. They are high and I need to get them down. I deep cleaned it a couple days ago and did a 50% water change, got new bio max/carbon. What other things could I do?

Hello Shel...

Very small tanks present a water challenge, even for experienced water keepers. What makes up the water chemistry, like pH isn't important for keeping a healthy tank. A tank this size, no matter how many fish you have, should have half the water changed a couple of times a week to maintain a steady chemistry. A chemistry that remains the same is more important than what's in the tap water. Do those 50 percent changes twice weekly and forget about the pH and the tank will be healthy.

B

Back
Top Bottom