water conditons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just got done with a water test everything looks good except my ph

ammonia-0
nitrite -0
nitrate -20ppm
ph -8.0

can this be harfull to my fish its always been a liltte high, around 7.6 but this time its up to 8.0 my fish all seen to be normal. my tap water i use to do my pwc test out at 7.6
any input will be helpfull

so whats the ph of your tap water after sitting in a bucket overnight? the ph in itself wont hurt the fish, but if its rising and dropping it can. How long has it been since you did a pwc? Do you normally test about the same amount of time after doing a pwc?

im not the best at schedule but i did a pwc an friday(4days ago) i norm check my paramiters about 3-4 days after a change then again at about 10days after and i never notice a change in anything i did add stresscoat the day after the pwc bc i added 2 fish (kinda sis a foster home for a few days) ill run some water off and see what it reads tomoro. do u h think it will change?

alot of times it will change after sitting out for a while, thats the ph you should use as your baseline from the tap. hard to guess without knowing what it is yet. let us know tomorrow and we'll go from there

pH isn't nearly as critical as most people make it out to be. Unless you're trying to breed a finicky fish, they'll adapt.

well i droped the ball an getting you the reading i forgot to run some off in a bucket last nite. my tank still reads 8.0. i didnt think it was to big of deal as long as it stays mostly stable.

so i jsut tested the aprox gal i put in the bucket last nite my water after it sits over nite test out to 6.8

ok... so now that we've established that, what do you have in the tank that might be raising the ph? what kind of rock, substrate, decor, anything like that? A ph of 8 is certainly acceptable, but if it starts bouncing around you could have some problems....

ok i just figured out why its high lol thank you. i put in some new rocks and i knew they were limestone and i knew it would raise my ph. i even put one rock in and waited a week then another then another. i feel stupid for not thinking about that. i will watch to make sure it dosnt raise anymore or start going up and down.

Back
Top Bottom