Water hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank water is quite soft and fairly acidic, and that is only down to things like the addition of bogwood, as my tap water is hard and has a pH of around 7.2-7.6

Could it be an issue that there is a difference in tap and tank water? When I do a water change, could it cause a shock with the change of pH and softness? After a PWC, my pH is higher and the water is softer, then a couple of days afterwards it is back being soft and fairly acidic - neutral. Is this likely to stress my fish? At the moment, it doesn't seem an issue, but I am curious, could it be stressful for them?

This is probably super obvious, but hey, I thought I would ask it :D

Thanks

I have a little experience in dealing with these things. I live in the desert were water is extremely hard. I also have a high range PH of 8.6. However, I keep soft water fish. I have rams, gold nugget pleco ect. I have 3 fairly large pieces of driftwood that allows my water to soften up a bit, then I do a pwc and it's hard again. I have been doing this for a year with no stress problems at all. At the most it may assist with breeding. My fish will not breed in the hard water here. I know your scenario is different from mine. But hopefully this helps.

When are you testing your tap water for the baseline? It will give a false high reading initially until it gasses off the CO2. This may be what you are observing. If the fish are healthy, they're fine with your schedule.

Agreed. The question stands as to how testing is conducted though. How is "hardness" being measured? Basing results on a pH test alone leads many folks astray IME.

HN1 said:
Agreed. The question stands as to how testing is conducted though. How is "hardness" being measured? Basing results on a pH test alone leads many folks astray IME.

Not getting into personal information, but I know my water is hard by my location. Intact I don't even really need to know how hard my aquarium water is because I know it's past the extreme in the desert. Might help this individual??

My point exactly.... Are these based on TDS readings, actual gh/kh readings, or extrapolated only from the pH test? How pH is being tested is still applicable as well.

HN1 said:
My point exactly.... Are these based on TDS readings, actual gh/kh readings, or extrapolated only from the pH test? How pH is being tested is still applicable as well.

Ok, I called the water company here I'm Vegas. They said the water leaves the closet distro plant at 200kh. Thinking that is extremely hard! Who knows what happens on the way. But it's a start, maybe the OP can start their.

My LFS has tested my water on several occasions, as my test kit does not test hardness. On all but one of these tests, my water has been soft and acidic - neutral. These times were a few days after a PWC. The other occasion was the other week. I had done a PWC the day beforehand and my water was hard and had a pH of 7.2-7.6. I know the water around me is hard and not exactly acidic, so I assumed there could be a link.

Depending on where you live you can check if your water distribution company has a website from which you can check the water for you area?

I know in the UK I can check my online quite easily :)

Back
Top Bottom