Water Hardness info please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even the healthiest fish can get it.

It can't live without a host fish and only comes into a tank from newly introduced infected fish.

When fish show white spots, it is where the parasite has burrowed into the fish.

You can only cure it by killing the offspring when they are free form swimming in the water.

Yes, it is. Good job.

Again, enough stress to lower the immune system is still required for a pathogen (pathogen=biological agent that produces illness) to be effective. Unstressed fish do not get ich or effectively all of the other pathogens/diseases/illnesses/parasites/baceria/fungi/viruses common in the hobby.

No. Healthy, unstressed fish do not get it. They HAVE to be stressed in some way. I have pulled healthy fish from tanks filled with ich at Petsmart and not had them or any of my other fish get it. I have bought sick, ich infected fish and had them turn around on their own (no meds, salt, heat, or any other treatment of any kind) because they were not stressed in my tanks.

I would beg to differ that healthy fish can't get ich. Thats like saying a clean person who is healthy person can't get lice.

However, bad water conditions combined with ich definately make fish much more likely to get secondary infections.

They didn't have ich then.

There are a huge number of diseases fish can get brought on by bad water and cured with clean water.

Ich isn't one of them.

What are you basing this on?

So your defintion of ich is anything that looks like ich as long as it doesn't require stress in the fish?

You realize that human immune systems work the same way don't you. Exam time comes in college, everyone is stressed, and all of a sudden everyone has a cold in May.

Are you seriously telling me that my fish did not have a certain disease? You are so well qualified that you don't need to see the fish, do any tests, or see any pictures of the disease to diagnose disease and illness?

Absolutely not.

However, I have a very full understanding (with plenty of experience to back it up) of the lifecycle of Ichthyophthirius.

I can tell you your fish did not have ich if the disease symptoms went away with clean wate conditions.

When you get some actual information to back up your claims let me know. Otherwise please research before making such bold claims as to telling other people what certain diseases their fish did and did not have.

I am just a Biologist, Veterinary Technician, Fishkeeper with 15 years experience, I have run an aquarium store, and run my own aquarium and pet care company, but what the heck would I know.

This is exactly why I can't stand forums sometimes. I am done with this.

Can you point out where it says that fish do not need to be stressed in order to have ich?

Sorry Miss Shadylady,

I wasn't trying to be arguementative and if I don't know something, will admit it.

I also know there are more than one way to do things, especially in aquaria.

With this said, clean water and a higher ph and lack of fish stress will not cure your ich problem.

Thanks for the info. I'm running out this morning to get a heater and a hydrometer. So far, I lost the one goldfish that I took out last night because he didn't look good. But everyone else looks good. (Other than the two platys with a couple spots) Again, these are all new fish as of sunday, so I suppose losing one or two would be expected if they were already sick with something. Is there a special way I should clean/disinfect my QT tank? I did just put some more salt, but I didn't know if there was something else.

Thanks again guys, you've been great!

Just keep up with the ich treatment.

On the remaining comet...

It probably won't be able to withstand the heat treatment, as its a coldwater fish. I forgot he was in there...

You may have to treat it seperately without heat and hope for the best. I'm sure there will be lots of opinions on what to do with the little guy.

Most advise against keeping any kind of goldfish with tropicals, though I have seen it done successfully. They do get huge and may outgrow that big old 55 gallon tank you have.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Come to think of it, he just got some ich spots today, so maybe he's not taking the heat too well and it's causing stress. I'll put him in the QT tank.

Back
Top Bottom