Water has a slight brown coloring... could just be cloudy though...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well that makes me feel better :)

and this is right from the discription of said "driftwood" "Plus, it's totally non-toxic and made from a stable and reliable resin"

HopefulHobbiest said:
i may be wrong, when i looked at the piece of "wood" on petsmarts website it says "driftwood" but i'm not sure its legit wood...

Nope, not real wood. That is plastic and has a lovely little weight in one side that keeps it floating in the same orientation. Used to have one of those :)

well crap, i'm gonna read the descriptions of my other tank decor and see if anything is made from real wood... cause i'm lost at this point. but i believe both of you when you say its not harmful to my fish, i'd just like to know the source of my "tea" water lol

HopefulHobbiest said:
well crap, i'm gonna read the descriptions of my other tank decor and see if anything is made from real wood... cause i'm lost at this point. but i believe both of you when you say its not harmful to my fish, i'd just like to know the source of my "tea" water lol

You said its only when you turn the light off?

Any leaves on your plant dying?

Me personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

No, one leaf would not. Most likely it comes in the water when you do a partial water change. Active carbon in your filter can help combat it.

No, one leaf would not. Most likely it comes in the water when you do a partial water change. Active carbon in your filter can help combat it.

i have the top fin 60 filter that uses the larger of these medias
Top Fin® Power Filters and Filtration Cartridges - Filters - Fish - PetSmart

but i couldn't see anything that mentions active carbon... maybe its not there or maybe i'm slightly blind :D

if theres no carbon i can always buy some and throw it in the filter

I think it'll be ok! Unless the brown water reeeeeally annoys you. Heck, nobody looks at my tanks once the lights go off anyways!

well now that i know what it is it doesn't annoy me at all, i usually turn out the lights to feed my eclipse catfish(nocturnal :ermm:) other than that if its not harmful i'll leave it alone, i don't wanna make to many modifications during the initial water cycle, and i never extra chem's in my tank... so all is good for now :)

thanks for your answers

Yes only noticeable when lights are off... One plant has one leaf that's brown but would one dying leaf really cause this?

On a side note, clip that dying leaf and take it out. A rotting leaf will mess up your water chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom