Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

when you turn the thermostats all the way up on the heaters do the stat lights come on?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Under the notion that you fried something electrical when you broke the heater, and working of the idea that perhaps only low power items will now run on the power strip, have you tried replacing the power strip with a lamp with a 100 watt light bulb? Basically prove that the electrical outlet can handle the load.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
when you turn the thermostats all the way up on the heaters do the stat lights come on?
If he's using that borrowed Marineland Stealth one, there are no lights; the only way I know mine's working are the bubbles on the heating element part of it.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

i didnt read all the posts on this thread but i know its always a good idea to leave your heater in your tank for 15 - 20 mins to let the heater climatize, so when you start it up it doesnt detect an instan temperature swing and think theres a problem within the tank. i had that problem a few times, and went through alot of heaters(never broke mine tho). i would also consult an electrician about the issue they might be able to instruct you on what your issue is. i live in a place with climates colder than the north pole in the winter, and deal with alot of temperature swings, and my 300 watt smart heater keeps up with my 55 gallon just fine, keeps it at a regulated temp perfectly. also i dont know if you are useing one or not, but a surge protector might help you out when you get everything working again, so whenever it detects a surge it will break your circuit and stop any further issues.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Correct, the Stealth does not have a light. Also my power strip has a built in surge protector. The idea of plugging in the 100w lamp is a good one.
However, last night I flipped the circuit break just to see if that was the issue. It wasn't. When everything came back on the heaters did not. So in desperation I turned both up to 85 degrees and checked again. Immediately they heated up. I left them on for about four hours checking every few minutes. The tank came up from about 62 to 69 degrees. Before I went to bed I turned them back to 79 to make sure that I didn't cook my fish overnight. This morning the tank was back to 62. Heaters were cold (of course). Before I went to work I turned them back up to 82 this time and verified that they were hot. We'll see what happens while i'm away...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It would not be the circuit breaker as you are still able to filter and aerate your tank correct... maybe not. However it is all the same 120 at the outlet nothing more nothing less. Watts is what you need to look at. If other things are working in the general area its not in the fuse box... The heater is not instant it will take a while(day or two) to heat to the temperature selected. Amperes is what is used to measure the amount of work the heater is actually doing wattage is the hefty-ness and voltage is what is coming out of your wall/surge protector(120). What size tank and what is the wattage on your heater? If the heater is faulty the surge protector depending on what kind might not allow it to run.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im sorry the heater doesnt need wattage it produces wattage larger for more heat i e bigger aquarium smaller amount for a smaller aquarium. So yes look at the watts and look it up to see if it is enough for your size aquarium. If it isnt its discombobulated. HAHA yea!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your heater is a 100 watt heater and you have a 100 watt bulb. Test it. Make sure its around 100 watt bulb as if you are worried about voltage drop off which I doubt... use it. It could be in the surge protector too. But I tend to believe its the heater itself... Too small Im guessing is what is sounds like. My tank gets up to 78 durring the day and 77 or 76.8 at around 4 in the morning lowest point. Dont ask what I was doing up then!!! Anyone ever played Call of Duty 5?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
It seems to me that the plug is not making good connection. I would try slightly bending the prongs on the heater plugs, so they will make good contact inside the receptacle.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleone7 View Post
.... So in desperation I turned both up to 85 degrees and checked again. Immediately they heated up. I left them on for about four hours checking every few minutes. The tank came up from about 62 to 69 degrees. Before I went to bed I turned them back to 79 to make sure that I didn't cook my fish overnight. This morning the tank was back to 62. Heaters were cold (of course). Before I went to work I turned them back up to 82 this time and verified that they were hot. We'll see what happens while i'm away...
This sounds like the usual heater dial not being accurate problem .... It is pretty common to have the heater set at some temp & the actual set point is way off. <That's why some people use a separate temperature controller to control the heaters.>

At any rate, if the heater actually heats at a different setting, it is pretty safe that the problem is not in the outlet/surge protector ... etc. <Even if the surge protector is fried & it is giving 50V, say, the heater still should have turned on when set to 79 if it was on at 82 ... that dial is just a simple on/off switch ....>

Now, why you would have 3 new heaters in a row having the same problem is a bit of a mystery ... most of the time, the heater set points are kinda randomly set, some read high, some low ... but i suppose you could by chance get 3 of the same (reading temp falsely high.)

Tags
eat, eating, heating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com