Water is getting Cloudy. HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AfricanCichlidOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
My water is just recently begging to get pretty cloudy it was a lot more clear before. Is there a chemical I can add please help me out. Thanks guys.

My water is just recently begging to get pretty cloudy it was a lot more clear before. Is there a chemical I can add please help me out. Thanks guys.

I wouldn't add any chemicals. Is it a new tank? Anything new done to it? Like filter change or cleaning? What size tank? Heavily stocked? Could just be a bacterial bloom. How much do you feed, what's in the tank?

I wouldn't add any chemicals. Is it a new tank? Anything new done to it? Like filter change or cleaning? What size tank? Heavily stocked? Could just be a bacterial bloom. How much do you feed, what's in the tank?

It's new, just added like 4 mollies, it was an upgrade for my goldfish from a 5 gallon so I used that tank water since it was from an "established" tank. It's a 20 gallon. And it's got 3 goldfish, a Dalmatian Molly, a lyretail Dalmatian Molly, a salicin black Molly, and a black Molly. Oh and two Chinese algae eaters.

That's another thing, I wanted to know people views on Chinese algae eaters I've heard mixed reviews.

Well your pretty much stocked to the max. Could be just dirty water as you have a heavy bio load. What filter are you using? CAE can be very aggressive. I have 2 in my 75 African cichlid tank and they hold there own.

I'd really like to see a pic and know what your filtration is like. That may be the problem.

If its a new tank and you added water from another tank that would not mean the tank is cycled and it would probably be bacterial bloom. Your beneficial bacteria is in filter material, gravel, decorations ect. Not in the water. Check the parameters and let us know what they are :)

If it was cycled like convict said may be overstocked. My wifes 20 is overstocked and it is a pain keeping the water from looking cloudy. 50% water changes at LEAST once a week lol

I have heard Chinese algae eaters get aggressive as they get bigger but I personally have not had any so can't say for sure

I checked all my levels and they where just fine. I guess I'll just have to cut back on food and do more water changes then? From what I've heard and read online.

Attachments

• image-252421870.jpg
    image-252421870.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 48
I would find the source of the problem instead of covering it up ya know. Try cutting back on food and maybe more water changes

I see a decent sized comet in your picture. What type are your other goldfish? Unfortunately, I believe the issues with your tank are solely due to overstocking. Comets, commons, shubunkins and other single tail goldfish have the potential to grow 12-18in with proper care and realistically are only suitable for ponds or large tanks. They also carry a huge bioload (produce a lot of ammonia).

Chemicals are not the solution here. I would give some serious thought to addressing your stocking situation in order to remedy the issue here.

You may need to upgrade or re home. You still haven't answered the question about what filter your using. Also I agree stay away from chemicals. Btw... That's a beautiful goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom