water keeps turning green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boreddome

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i had a 10 gallon tank that the water kept going green in it an i thought it was over stocked so last week i set up a 36g tank for the fish.(2 red tail sharks"about 2 inches each" 2 glow fish"inch each" 2 tetra "inch each" 1 fancy guppy "1 inch" neon tetra fish "1 inch" and 2 other fish that i forget there names but they are only 2 inches each. and it has been 1 week and its green already. i have 1 17w 8k bulb thats on from 10 am to 10pm. fish tank is next to a window but does not sit directly in front of the window. i have 2 filters ones a aqua tech 30-60g then the others a aqueon and i thinks its good for 30g.

What kind of bulb is it? CFL, T8 or T5? Green-water's an algae bloom, see the link below for ideas on how to best treat it.. but it sounds like a blackout maybe in order.

Solving Green Water Problems In Freshwater Aquarium | Aquariums Life

BTW ... Two Red-tail sharks in anything smaller than a 125gallon with plenty of caves, plants and DW to set up separate territories is a fight waiting to happen. RTS's are very territorially aggressive as they mature and will not tolerate other RTS's. A 36gal is too small for even one RTS, I recommend at least a 75gal ... with plenty of territories that I mentioned.

i have a t8 bulb.
ok thanks for the link. and i didnt know that about red tail sharks. they seem to be happy with each other though. they "dance" i guess you could call it with each other.

It doesn't matter if they seem happy, tank is way too small for them, and they will outgrow it in no time. You'll randomly wake up one day to one or both being wounded. I noticed when describing your fish, you have 2 'tetras'. Just wondering what kind they are. Also, to have the best results with tetras, get bigger schools of the same kind. Did you mean 2 glowlight tetras? or 2 glofish?
There's a chance all the tetras could nip the guppy fins.

First things first though, are these tanks cycled?

Back
Top Bottom