Water Level: Constant trickling sound driving me nuts.... :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kid capri

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi.

I've had a 55 gallon for years and years. It has an eheim canister filter. The water level has pretty much always been below the "water return" (I don't know what else to call it)...

This results in a constant trickling sound. It's starting to drive me nuts. Any pros or cons to me raising the water level up high, so that the "water return" is below the water? (and thus silent)...

I don't know why, but I've always had the water level a tad low, to create a "splash" as I felt it aerated the water! .... :?

any opinions appreciated! thank you for your time.

As long as the surface of the water is moving, your fish will get enough oxygen. There is no need for splashing or bubbles.

For my tanks with canister filters, the water level is above the return. I just aim the return up and it agitates the water surface.

I do my returns just barely below, like the outflow of my mag350 for example, and it really agitates the water surface without making any noise. When it starts making noise I know it's time to top off the water hehe!

Thanks guys!

No longer will every visitor to my home find themselves having an incredible and inexplicable urge to pee!

0X <--- I've got to add this guy because he's dope!

thanks again.

Yeah there is nothing worse then that water splashing sound.
My 55gal tank is right behind my chair and when the water gets low and it makes that sound in my ear while I am tryint to watch T.V.....GRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just keep the water level a little higher and all is good.

LOL, Homedics make those little indoor fountains that are supposed to create a soothing atmosphere with the sound of trickling water! :lol:

Strihk, you are not alone - I actually like the trickling sound too. It's the sucking sound from the HOB filters (when the water level is too low) that I can't stand.

Back
Top Bottom