Water level question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Might be a strange question, but what is the ideal water level in an aquarium? Does it depend on the type of fish in the tank? Are there other factors to take into account?

I'm wondering if I'm over filling my tanks- I fill to 2 inches from the top. I haven't experienced any problems (as yet) but have noticed a lot of other tanks have a 5-6 inch gap at the top.

Might be a strange question, but what is the ideal water level in an aquarium? Does it depend on the type of fish in the tank? Are there other factors to take into account?

I'm wondering if I'm over filling my tanks- I fill to 2 inches from the top. I haven't experienced any problems (as yet) but have noticed a lot of other tanks have a 5-6 inch gap at the top.

More or less up to you. I don't like to leave a gap so I fill mine to the top frame. As long as you have enough surface movement to promote gas exchange, your good. If you have an HOB filter ... depending on the model ... then leaving a gap creates the waterfall for surface movement.

I like to get my fish as much water in there as possible. I fill it up past the plastic rim. Sometime I can't see the fish if they are all the way on the top, I can only see there bottom fins. Whatever your preference. If you have a 20 gallon and leave 3 or 4 inches on the top, it's only going to be around 15 gallons!

I fill mine up to about a half inch from the top. But the only reason I do that is because I've found that filling it up that high and having the air pump running is quieter then having it down a bit lower and listening to the two filters splashing around.

Besides, if it's below the frame, you'll see water spots on the glass, so that's another reason to fill it up higher. IMO, it makes for a much cleaner look.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm glad I can fill them right up- not only does it look better (especially in winter when I have the hoods on) but I really want all the volume I can get.

I had been hesitant to do so because nearly every tank I have see where I live, has a large gap at the top. Some people only fill 2/3rds!

I've seen a narrow 4ft tank filled to just over half way, with 3x 15cm cichlids (two of them oscars)! If I had the space I'd rescue them- he's selling the lot and their tank for $50 :-(

Back
Top Bottom