Water looks horrible - please help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heartsx2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know what to do about this cloudy water. Tank has been setup for 1 month. I did a 20% water change 2 weeks ago (which I later read I probably shouldn't have). I originally had lights on for 12 hours and I've reduced to 10 hours for the last couple weeks. I thought it would clear up over time but it's been a couple weeks now and it continues to get worse. Below are water parameters. What should I do?? Thanks for your help!

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - almost 0
pH - 8.2
dGH - 28
dKH - 16

29 gallon
Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-30"
Magnum 350

img_484825_0_835cf4829b29738b5df8cc7ee0cad8fd.jpg

img_484825_1_23d360ba3c09e7f262b7183501a9e4ed.jpg

I think you need to add nitrogen fertilizer. Looks like green water to me. Mine started to go away as soon as I started to dose nitrtaes.

nice looking tank.

My only advice would be to keep up with those water changes. try 20% every couple of days for the next week and a half. Hopefully someone will come by with better advice.

pretty tank and fish!

How many watts of light do you have? I am guesing 40 watts if it is the same as the double light I had.

I think Rich is correct - it looks like green water, basically an algae bloom. When nitrates bottom out in a well-lit planted tank you can get algae blooms.
I also agree with rubysoho, partial water changes can help remedy the green water problem. Follow Rich's advice and supplement with a nitrogen fertilizer after performing a partial (20-30%) water change. Ideally you should maintain NO3 at ~15 ppm.

The lighting is 1.24 wpg.
I also have been adding Seachem Flourish once or twice a week.

So to fix this, I should do a partial water change followed by a dose of (lets say Seachem Flourish Nitrogen)? And then continue to do this how often (how many days in-between)?

Sounds like you have the plan down. I treat twice a week to keep the Nitrates at 15. You will have to test and experiment to get the right dosing schedule for you.

I would continue performing partial (20-30%) water changes every other day until the green water abates while maintaining NO3 levels at ~15 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom