water movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
i know you dont want a lot of surface movement so CO2 stays in the tank, but what mid level? do you still want some movement throughout the plants? if so how many gph?

i just have a lot of algae growth in our 20 gal and think its being caused by little water movement. i have small a HOB filter that doesnt didturb the surface all that much. should i throw in a PH to get some more movement or do i want as little as possible. thanks a lot

Some water movement is ok but not a lot. I would use one that had adjustable flow on it. The flow on my Fluval is turned way down and I try to bounce it off the glass so it is not hitting the plants directly. Some plants don't mind water flow and others do.

Algae growth is natural... water movement won't reduce it, and in a planted tank you have to learn to deal with it. :wink: As proof... I have algae at the most turbulent parts of my tanks: the filter outflow, plant leaves near the filter outflow.

To reduce algae, do frequent water changes. But to get rid of it, you need a good compliment of Siamese Algae Eaters or Amano Shrimp and quite high CO2 levels. SAEs and Amanos will get rid of hair algae and beard algae (I'm sure you knew that). Bristlenose plecos or otos will get rid of algae that accumulates on the tank sides. A CO2 level near what is considered dangerous for fish will keep algae down, but encourage plant growth. So, approximately 20 ppm. I have a friend who keeps his at 30 ppm, but that's over the recommended level. His plants have no algae at all.

So, CO2, algae-eaters are the best remedies, IMO.

I agree with madasa on the co2 remedy for the algae. On the tanks I have a canister filter on, I too, like trenac aim the outflow towards the glass. Of course it makes a nice little flow going around the tank which you can see in the front also. The larger of my tanks I have two canisters on, on my 20 gal planted I have small hob for bacteria growth with it at the lowest setting, barely moves any water at all, and a hot magnum for my cleaning and such. Also like that because I can put different media in it to really clean up the water. but thats all personal choice

Back
Top Bottom