water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guppies along with most livebearers need hard water with a higher ph. Do you happen to know your Gh and Kh?

How often and how much water do you change out on the tank weekly? Also what is the ph of your tap water after it has gassed off for 24 hours? If it's got a low ph like your tank then you need to use crushed coral to keep enough buffers in the water to keep ph higher. If the tap water has a higher ph than your tank you need to be doing at least 50% WC's weekly to keep buffers added into the water.

Also what is you exact stock and size of the tank? Too high of a stocking level (bioload) can cause buffers to be used up quicker also.

Right now get a glass of water and either aerate it or stir it over the next 24 hours then test it's ph. After you see what it is after gassing off post your results. But right now I suggest doing a 50% WC. Then test the Ph in a couple hours. If it's still low you can add a small amount of pre-dissolved baking soda to raise it.

Well I have fuval stratum so it brings the ph down to6.6 and I just got them today and were in the tank for more than an hour and gh is1 and kh is 5

These are world class blue grass guppies and were not cheap so should I be able to acclimate to another tank slowly again ? My stock in their tank is 4 chili rasboras and lots of plants. My other tank is also planted but with a ph of 7.2 is that fine. And I just finished reading that these professional breeders keep their guppies between 6.6 and6.9 is This possible or are they lying ?

Did you check your ammonia level as I "think" that substrate is one that releases some ammonia in the beginning. Think being the key word. If the breeder you got them from was keeping them at that ph then they should be okay. Your Kh is good but your Gh is low which means you have a low amount of magnesium. First check your ammonia and go from there.

Ammonia is 0 the Ada aqua soil is the one that leeches ammonia and the person I got it from had some fluval stratum too but mixed with some gravel

You can try moving them to another tank but I'd just watch them closely for now as another move is going to stress them more. Do you know the exact Gh/Kh/Ph they were in before? If not I'd ask the seller, I've done this before. Are you using CO2 in their tank? Some new fish not used to CO2 have to acclimate to it also. Just throwing out some idea's here.

Ok thank you but there is no co2 I will try to call the store for it is all the way to manhattan in delancey

Just finished talking to them and they said ph 7.2 nitrtrates and nitri is 0 and kh and gh of 4

Do you have an Epson salt? A touch of that can raise your Gh. But for right now if you have any baking soda you can add a pinch of it predissolved to raise your Ph. It will raise your Kh some too but if you only use a tiny bit at a time you can creep your Ph up. Add the baking soda wait 30 minutes to an hour and retest the Ph. Be sure not too add too much at a time as that can shock the fish if you make too big of a Kh jump.

I'll try but the ph will go back down because the stratum is meant to put down the ph so I'll let u know hopefully everyone is still awake

These are world class blue grass guppies and were not cheap so should I be able to acclimate to another tank slowly again ? My stock in their tank is 4 chili rasboras and lots of plants. My other tank is also planted but with a ph of 7.2 is that fine. And I just finished reading that these professional breeders keep their guppies between 6.6 and6.9 is This possible or are they lying ?

Ask the shop or breeder what ph they kept them at

Fish can adjust to a wide range ph if the change is done slowly

Keeping it constant is the most important thing

and my male guppy is laying on the the plants or substrate and just stays there is there something wrong?

Honestly you might have to risk trying to move them to the tank with a higher ph.

Back
Top Bottom