Water parametes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendy fm

Aquarium Advice Activist
So while I do weekly water changes, I will admit that I haven’t tested for nitrites and nitrates in about a month. Of course my nitrites are at zero, but my nitrates were at 80, plus my Kh was at 40. After a fifty percent water change my kh was 80 and nitrate is now forty.
My tank has is a twenty gallon and has been running since November. It was started with a filter from my previous tank and all the bacteria that came with it.
I have two questions. One is should I do two water changes a week until I get the Nitrates back to twenty?
Two my previous filter came from my ten gallon I thought it was big enough, should I go up a size?
This tank and the fish have been doing well, I don’t want a crash.

I do two WC's a week for my 120 display tank. Sat. 50%, Wed. 10%. The smaller WC is a very intense gravel vac. I've got a relatively heavy bioload but the water stays clear and clean; fish stay healthy. I use the old tank water for the flower gardens and trees.

Hello wendy...

Here's a good rule to follow: Small tanks up to 30 gallons, change half the tank water 2 times a week. Tanks larger than 30 gallons change half the water weekly. If you follow this rule, you'll establish a steady water chemistry and you won't need to worry about testing. You'll know the tank water is always stable and safe for your fish and plants. Water testing is fine for the cycling process or for those who are less than faithful with their water changes. But, I'm a water change fanatic and haven't tested the water in any of my tanks for many years and don't plan to do it.

B

Back
Top Bottom