Water polishing, filter media suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b4tn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a fluval 204 canister filter for my 42 gallon. Currently it has the four sponge blocks, in the bottom I have floss and the top I have the fluval biomax. I have a couple empty baskets that I could add more if need be.

Now I am noticing my water is never crystal clear. It is always slightly cloudy. In the past I used carbon to get the super crystal clear water but since I am planted carbon is obviously a no no. What should I use to polish the water and get that nice crystal clear look?

b4tn said:
In the past I used carbon to get the super crystal clear water but since I am planted carbon is obviously a no no.

Why is carbon a no no? I have read that it has minimal effect on adsorbing nutrients.

I also have some fine polywool (doesn't have to be Fluval) in my Fluval 304 before the biomax, my water is crystal clear.

Could it maybe also be, that you have a little bacterial bloom?

I would definitely add something to the other free baskets! More surface for the good bacteria to sit on and keep your water clean! And even if it's "only" regular foam.

I have similar canister-style filters on my big tank and I like to use Seachem's Purigen in a fine mesh bag in one of the baskets to help polish the water. It does a great job and doesn't affect nutrient levels appreciably, although it removes a small amount of nitrates. I also use 50 micron filter floss that I buy in 36"x36" sheets and cut to fit. It does a great job filtering out fine particles.

I just have a big bag of poly floss I got from the LFS. It was pretty cheap and seems like it will last a long time. I never even thought about adding it to the empty baskets :oops: I usually change it out at every water change and it gets gunked up pretty fast.

It is very possible I have a bacterial bloom since I have been fighting all sorts of other algae. I am starting to gain ground though :D I upped nitrates to 20ppm and phosphates to 2ppm and growth has slowed tramedously! I am also doing 50% water changes twice a week now.

filter floss is what I'd use, poly-fill...something like that.

carbon isn't the huge 'no no' for a planted tank that people hear it is. it doesn't remove that many trace nutrients. however, carbon is far from 'necessary' for any freshwater tank. carbon simply absorbs some chemicals (like medications) and odors. the only way carbon can trap small debris is mechanically, the same way filter floss would. It doesn't absorb the particles, they just get trapped either in the nylon bag the carbon is in, or in between the granuales of carbon themselves...but not absorbed.

Thank you malkore.. I always hear "don't run carbon in a planted tank".. I do it all the time. And after the carbon is "dead" it's still a good mech. filter.

Dave

I wouldnt rule it out! I have never heard of tannis so I had to do a search. The lady at my LFS her english was not so good but she did point out certain drift woods that will turn the water brown and told me the savannah wood I picked out would not but we all know how reliable the LFS can be sometimes lol.

Back
Top Bottom