Water polishing/Micron filter pads. Any cons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryukins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been reading about how to remove small dust like particles in my water that are visible only when the light is turned on in my tank. From what I understand my filter floss may not be fine enough to remove these tiny particles and a micron filter pad maybe required in my canister.

Are there any cons to adding a micron filter pad? I guess it would mean more frequent changes of the micron pad since they are so fine and would catch lots of small debris?

Currently I have the stock media that came with the Eheim 2217 canister.

Should I even be worried about these particles? Will they harm my fish?

As long as your parameters are at acceptable levels it shouldnt be an issue of water quality. Since you plan on changing the new pads out frequently they wont have a chance to help your bio filter. So it sounds like your just doing this for astetic reasons only.

I have been reading about how to remove small dust like particles in my water that are visible only when the light is turned on in my tank. From what I understand my filter floss may not be fine enough to remove these tiny particles and a micron filter pad maybe required in my canister.

Are there any cons to adding a micron filter pad? I guess it would mean more frequent changes of the micron pad since they are so fine and would catch lots of small debris?

Currently I have the stock media that came with the Eheim 2217 canister.

Should I even be worried about these particles? Will they harm my fish?

I'd say consider going with 100% Poly-fill before you commit to more expensive micron filter pads. You'd be surprised at how well Poly-fill traps suspended particles and does a fine job polishing your water for a fraction of the price of polishing pads.

I've had a 20oz bag of Poly-Fill from an arts/craft store since late March of last year and I still have about another 2months worth. This at the rate of switching out the Poly-fill twice a month ... and over the last 7 months, I've been stuffing two media trays with Poly-fill.

I am currently using this stuff for filter floss:

Big Al's Filter Floss-10 Sq.Ft. : Mechanical Filter Media

Is this the same as the poly-fill you are describing Jcolon?

Although it is a bit more expensive, I went with the Big Al's filter floss since I read some horror stories about people using pillow stuffing and it had chemicals leak into their water and kill their fish.

Cichlid_kid:
I guess it is mainly aesthetics? There are so many of these "dust like particles" it really bothers me. Are you sure they wont affect my fish?

My water params look ok and are stable (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 7.8ph), I just have a bit of nitrates I remove when it gets up to 5-10ppm.

I am currently using this stuff for filter floss:

Big Al's Filter Floss-10 Sq.Ft. : Mechanical Filter Media

Is this the same as the poly-fill you are describing Jcolon?

Although it is a bit more expensive, I went with the Big Al's filter floss since I read some horror stories about people using pillow stuffing and it had chemicals leak into their water and kill their fish.

Yes that is basically Poly-fill from the description. You can save yourself some $$$ by getting the stuff I use ... Fairfield Brand (blue and clear plastic bag) 100% Poly-fill ... no fire retardants or other chemicals. A 20oz bag for less than $5.00 that's lasted a year ... not a bad bargain.

Back
Top Bottom