Water prep best practices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sixtyfou

Aquarium Advice Freak
How does everyone else prep their water for a water change? This is my drill.

5 Gallon bucket, start filling with hot tap water, when it's about a third of the way full I add the decholinator. I then clean my dropper in the water as it fills the rest of the way. Let the bucket sit uncovered for about a half hour. Then I put the lid on, and let it get to room temp before using. This usually takes at least 5 hours, but I rarely use them the same day. I've got pretty good tap water so that's all it takes.

My logic is that the chlorine and other treatment gases will escape better in a hot water pour. I put the lid on to prevent dust from falling out of the air into the water after I think the gases have dissipated.

As far as I'm aware, most dechlorinators dont remove chlorine and chloramine from the water. They bind it chemically into harmless substances.

This is why it's necessary to let tap water stand for 24 hours to get the true ph. Chlorine has to outgass, and that changes ph.

The dechlorinator works instantly, so it's probably not necessary to do the whole hot water thing.

I need to get a chlorine test kit. I don't think the dechlorinator is even needed if you run the water hot, and let it gas out. That's totally a guess, but one I'd like to look into.

I think you may be right. Also removes a lot of oxygen though!

And do you know if your water has chloramine added? As far as I know, that doesn't outgas in the way chlorine does, so I guess heating water wont get rid of it either.

Both good points, that I don't know the answer to. I wish I still worked in the lab. Lloyd would know. I wonder if I can find some contact info for him.

Back
Top Bottom