Water Problem :S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am having a problem with water clarity...I set up my tank about 4 weeks ago and threw in some goldfish to start my cycle and I used the filter and the water from my old cycled tank in my new tank as well. All the ammonia, nitrates and nitrites have decreased but my water is so cloudy that I cant see the back of my tank and its been like that for about 3 weeks now.

Does anybody think my tank is still cycling because of the cloudy water?
How do I get rid of the cloudy water? usually it just clears up for me
Should I do a water change? or wait a longer
If I add fish now could it be dangerous to their health?

Thanks

Welcome to AA. You need to test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to see where you are in the cycle. Since you are cycling with fish, I would definately do some water changes till the water clears up. Goldies are messy. Have you done ant water changes yet? How big is the tank and how many goldies? :D

Ouch seeing as how you took precautions to avoid a cycle I don't think that is it. test your water anyway, could it be dust on the tank, did you clean it well before filling it. Try cleaning the inside of the glass. Also what did you end up getting for a filter?

You need to test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to see where you are in the cycle.

Ya i actually tested for the last 4 weeks
There was some increases in ammonia, nitrites and nitrates but all went down

Try cleaning the inside of the glass. Also what did you end up getting for a filter

Yup the glass is clean :) It actually went cloudy after a week, into the cycle and has just got worse....no its so cloudy you can probably only see maybe 6 inches in. :S:SS

Also I ended up getting a Fluval 404, over kill for a 33g but better safe then sorry :D, Also I got the Fluval proably a week ago so i dont think that it had anything to do with cloudy water.

When I was cycling my goldie tank, I got some cloudiness as well toward the end of the cycle. I left it alone and within a week, my cycle had completed and I had green water :( I did a couple of PWCs over the next few days and added a bunch of anachris and blacked out the tank with a comforter for another week and I've not had the problem come back. I've learnt since then that I shouldn't have set up the tank by the window, no matter how little "indirect sunlight" it gets :oops:

If you have any measurable ammonia or nitrite, the tank is not cycled. If you have zero detectable for both values, then I'd say it is a bacterial bloom and wait a couple of more weeks, since it is not hurting the fish and once it is over your tank will be crystal. It is hard, but it should go away.

If you do have any ammonia or nitrite then it could be related to that, so just keep the levels low until the cycle is done. I have had bacteria moved over to seed a new tank that did not survive, for whatever reason, so it is possible you are still cycling. Is the water cool for the goldies? This can slow a cycle down.

Yup my ammonia and nitrites are at undetectable levels. and yes my tank does not have a heater but it is still at 24C or 75F...
I also had a algae bloom into my second week but it is gone now....probably added too much fertilizer for my plants, I just kept the lights of for a few days and it went away

Do you have any limestone or beach sand in your tank?? Sometimes it can cause cloudiness. If you put limestone into really soft water it will cloud up for a while but yours sounds really bad . . .

would using a diatom filter help my tank or would it just cause it to come back and for me to keep using my diatiom filter?

Back
Top Bottom