Water problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damian

Aquarium Advice Regular
55g tank with fluval 305 filter and aquaclear 70 power filter. I'm having issues with ammonia and Ph. Change the water weekly but I've been doing small changes every other day. But still ammonia is at about 0.50 and Ph is at 6.4.

Water Problems

Hello D...

If you prefer not to worry about the perameters of your tank water, then all you need to do is change a minimum of half the water in the tank every week. IMO, small water changes are as good as none at all.

Large and frequent water changes keep the chemistry of the water stable and allow no time for pollution to build up in the tank.

I have large, planted tanks and change at least half the tank water weekly and never have to test the water, because I know conditions are safe for the fish and plants.

B

I use Seachem prime as do a lot of other members as well. The main thing you need is a dechlorinator and in a pinch any will do. Good luck.

+1 Did you cycle your tank properly? It sounds like your in the midst of a fish-in cycle. What are you stocked with (type, number of fish)? Have you replaced any filter media recently or have you been aggressively cleaning it? I have to second the water changes-you really should be doing big (50% or more) daily to get your amm levels below .25ppm until your tank is fully cycled. Also, check your ammonia/nitrite/ nitrate/ph levels from your tap water as well. Ph drops are common during cycling & the big water changes will help to re-establish the buffers need to keep your water stable.

I didn't cycle my tank properly because I didn't really know that much about it. But that was over a year ago.

Your tank should be cycled by now! We need to look at what your stocked with (type of fish) & the number of fish you have in addition to how you are cleaning your filter media. Do you swish it occasionally in old tank water, run media under the faucet, or throw it away & replace them (or something else)? Are you using a water conditioner every time your changing your water? We need to rule things out in order to figure out why your still having ammonia issues.

OK. I have 11a fish. My one algae eater is about 6 inches and the other is maybe 5. One gourami which is maybe 4inches. 1 Angelfish size of a dollar coin. 4 red tetras but they are tiny. 2 bottom feeders couris I think that's how you spell it maybe 2 inches. And one cat fish also maybe 22 inches. As for media I have a fluval 305 and aquaclear 70 power filter. I started to keep the mesh and cleaning it under the faucet. As for the media I use API ammonia and charcoal combination in all of the compartments except one where I put those white balls for the good bacteria. And replace it every month. The aquaclear filter is only two weeks old so I didnt do anything yet.

OK. I have 11a fish. My one algae eater is about 6 inches and the other is maybe 5. One gourami which is maybe 4inches. 1 Angelfish size of a dollar coin. 4 red tetras but they are tiny. 2 bottom feeders couris I think that's how you spell it maybe 2 inches. And one cat fish also maybe 22 inches. As for media I have a fluval 305 and aquaclear 70 power filter. I started to keep the mesh and cleaning it under the faucet. As for the media I use API ammonia and charcoal combination in all of the compartments except one where I put those white balls for the good bacteria. And replace it every month. The aquaclear filter is only two weeks old so I didnt do anything yet.
You have a 22inch catfish in this tank? Ill have to let someone else address your stocking issues because i am a goldfish fanatic but i think your large algae eaters & monster catfish may be causing a bit of an ammonia issue. I would stop cleaning anything under faucet asap & just stick to cleaning in old tank water when you do pwcs. Are you throwing out the filter bags that hold the carbon when you change it & replacing it entirely? Are you replacing the white balls monthly as well? I would really try to keep everything filter media-wise until its is falling apart-its housing alot of your bacteria! Everytime you throw away stuff or wash it under the faucet, you throwing away/killing your bacteria & throwing yourself back into a cycle again. Right now, your back doing a fish-in cycle so lets keep on top of daily testing & doing lots (daily) of big water changes to keep your levels in check until things settle down. Hopefully, someone has some input & experience concerning your present stock!

I wish I had a 22inch cat fish mine is a baby and hides all the time. But isn't it recommended to replace the media. Yes I just throw away everything and replace it with new stuff. Not the white balls though I don't touch that.

Ok-with no monster fish to worry about, things sound a bit more under control! Lets try to keep as much of your media as absolutely possible (just rinse in old tank water) until its falling apart. The carbon/nitrasorb really are not necessary unless theres something else going on that im not aware of. Replacing it every mth is just draining your wallet/same as throwing everything away is. I would just empty carbon out/slit pockets & dump it out of the filters. I found aquarium sponges to be a cheap & easy replacement & you can cut them to fit anywhere & they basically never fall apart. Some people use polyfill as well. Once things settle & your bacteria re-establish themselves, you will be back to a normal water change schedule (maintanence) & life should be alot easier. Hope this helps a bit & ask questions if you are unsure about anything!

any product in your filter that absorbs ammonia is potentially keeping the ammonia from being available for your beneficial bacteria to consume. That could be your issue. The only thing you need in your filters is sponges or filter floss and if you want the ceramic rings for bacterial growth. Activated Carbon is Ok as long as you don't have live plants, but you have to replace it every 30 days or it can leech chemicals back into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom