Water Problems! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rachaelsosilly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so I've checked my water for the past week, and all stats are normal. My filter is running. I have a heater and also a bubble wand.

My tank is still not that mature, and I don't want to partially change the water yet..

but there are little white particles floating everywhere!

Can anyone tell me what they are, and how to fix it?
Water clarifier did NOT help!

Thanks! =]

Do they move? What kind of substrate are you using? Could it be part of that floating up to the top? Did you rinse the substrate well before adding it to the tank? hmmm, what else.....could you possibly get a picture?

I just used the basics I read about. Cycled the tank for 8 weeks. Added the fish about a week ago. Tested water, etc. The only thing new was the aquarium salt for the platy (or guppy, don't remember.) and the air pump/bubble wand. It just looks like... tiny white specs floating around. Haha

did you dissolve the salt first? How long ago did you add it to the tank? Kinda has me stumped....maybe some more members with more experience could help...

I read that they require aquarium salt. Not like... saltwater salt. Haha, did that make sense? Google it, I swear it said that!

Guppies, platys, mollies, can live in brackish conditions. You'll find info that they like aquarium salt. But it is not required, nor is it necessary. Plus not all of the tankmates may appreciate salt.

I have some aquarium salt, the only time I used it was when I 1st got my guppies from the LFS. They keep salt in that tank so I added a little salt to mine(no other fish) then never added any more, so after time w/ WC's I slowly over time removed the salt. They do just fine w/ no salt.

There is lots of info on this salt and livebearers, its a highly debated topic. Here is a good thread to read(although directed towards Mollies).
FishGeeks :: Tropical fish - Marine Fish - Aquarium Fish - Pond Fish - Aquatic Plants

This is a good site for guppy info, here is an old thread about guppies.
http://www.guppies.com/forums/showthread.php/often-should-salt-5729.html

Many feel its not needed and the fish do just fine w/o it

If it's a newer tank, you will see stuff floating around until everything get coated with the beneficial bacteria. Are you running a filter?

Yes, the filter has been running for over a month now. There are still a few white things floating around but no where near as bad. I just need to keep up on water changes, that's all!

Back
Top Bottom