Water pump for water changes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im going to use it for both, need alittle pre filter maybe too. Im hoping it will be powerful enough to move the amount of water i want quickly enough. Mm well see...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
It looks kinda small, it could have an issue pumping it back up the hose into the tank. Here's one that will drain and refill VERY quickly--->75ltrs per minute and will have no problem returning the water....
4500 L/H IN-LINE IMMERSIBLE WATER PUMP FOR KOI / FISH POND | eBay

Just for the record that diy pump didnt work.

Did you ever look into that drill pump? I really think it may be what your looking for. Mainly be cause you attach hoses on both sides. Therefor you can use it for pumping out tank or pumping out water barrels? Most pumps will only flow in one direction. But if you need it to run unattended it will not work as it has to be run by a drill. Good luck I hope you find something that works.

Did you ever look into that drill pump? I really think it may be what your looking for. Mainly be cause you attach hoses on both sides. Therefor you can use it for pumping out tank or pumping out water barrels? Most pumps will only flow in one direction. But if you need it to run unattended it will not work as it has to be run by a drill. Good luck I hope you find something that works.
I looked into one of those, the flow rate was awful, like 200 gph.. Yes hours! What about a bilge pump? If your drop it in a 50 gallon trash barrel it would work awesome, we've used them at work to feed pressure washers, they move water!!!

Just for the record that diy pump didnt work.

Is there a reason why you are not considering the one I linked above. It will be exactly the same set-up you tried except it is a much more powerful pump that will empty your barrel in 1 minute.....

200gph would be more than adequate for me! Luckily i just found 2 of my old drills. One 15volt rechargeabke and one 450w mains.

The price of that 4500lph and that i cant be certain it will preform 100% how i want

200gph is around 1000lph. So 50 gallons in 15mins so 50 litres will be moved in around 3-4 minutes which will be quickly than my existin method and take much less effort.

Last edited:
Looks like ill be using the mains drill.. just found a drill pump for £8 3000litres per hour:thumbup:

30sec moving barrels from the airing cupboard, 2mins water out 2mins water in and 10minutes filling them back up! Job done in 15minutes.

Last edited:
Stupid drill pump is only 1500litre bot 3000 as described plus i tested it on my water buckets and a grease lubricant came out.. so that writes that idea off.

Stupid drill pump is only 1500litre bot 3000 as described plus i tested it on my water buckets and a grease lubricant came out.. so that writes that idea off. Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
molli, could have sworn I said they were useless;) they have pumps for tile saws at the tool shops, perfect! Small, cheap, easy!!!and if you want to go even bigger you can get the foot pedal to control it hands free! Hmmm now I want one..

Back
Top Bottom