Water Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcpousnret

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I’m in desperate need of some help with my water chemistry. I’m loosing fish .
I have 2 tanks. A 100 gallon and a 55 gallon. I have lost an African Cichlid ( blue Alahi ) in the 55 gallon tanks and I’m about to loose my Big Jack Dempseys in my 100. I am on well water here in Ga.
After church yesterday, I did a water change (25%) in my 100 gallon after my fish were darting about and banging off the sides of the tank then became listless.I added aquarium Salt. No clamped fins.

Here is the stats for the water chemistry before and after the water chemisty

Before after
Ammonia 0 0
Nitrate 20 ppm 20
Nitrite 0 0
Hardnes (gh) 0 25
Chlorine 0 0
Alkalinity 80ppm 40 ppm
Ph 7.2 7.2

The 55 tank is where I lost my African Cichlid. Here is the stats
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20 ppm
Nitrite 0
Hardnes (gh) 25
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 120 ppm
Ph 8.4

Im going to my local pet store to have the water tested. I’m also going to the county and have the well water tested.
I have added phos ban to the filtering media, and plenty of filtering.

Here is the confession. If there is an additive on the pet store shelf. I bought it. I use algae clear the most and accu clear. My water gets a lot of algae blooms and the water is a pain in the neck to clear up. The algae clear seems to have done the best job clearing up the tank. I loose fish and start all over again. I don’t think its an improper cycling problem, but I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance all!

There is nothing wrong with your levels. My concern is that you're adding chemicals. I have used chemicals before that get rid of algae. Even though it did it's job I lost my school of neon tetras. To get rid of algae, you must find the problem of where the algae is coming from. Reduce your lighting, feed a little less, do more but smaller PWC and it will eventually lessen. Plus if you're keeping mbunas (which are African cichlids) I believe they graze on algae in the tank. The only chemicals I would ever add to water are ferts for plants and water conditioner. JMO.

Thanks so much. In truth I really thought it was the chemicals I was using. There is no sunlight in my Basement Man Cave, but I do spend alot of time in there being a disabled vet and I keep the tank lights on.

How long are you keeping them on? Reducing the amount you turn on can help, and if it's a very severe case you could black out the tank for a few days.

Maybe you should keep them off and cover the tank with a blanket for a few days. It won't hurt any live plants that much and can keep algae off. Also, if it's on the glass, you can simply scrape it off with a MagFloat which will stay on the glass but is ready to use for algae scraping when needed.

I am curious about the before and after nitrate readings being 20, After a 25% water change I would expect the levels to drop to 15, unless you have a lot of nitrate in your well water. I am also curious as to why one tank is pH 7.2 and the other pH 8.4, and the hardness went from 0 to 25 on the 100, as well as the alkalinity dropping by 50%.
Perhaps readings for the water from the tap might be helpful. I would reiterate what was said about the addition of chemicals; you can save some money and heartache by avoiding them.

Back
Top Bottom