Water quality and RO system, Phoenix-Arizona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nguyen27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
Any one in here from Phoenix, Arizona? I was wondering if you have use an RO system for drinking water at home? So far I can tell the GH level of the water is high and so does the chlorine?
Thanks

I live in Mesa and yes, our water in the Phoenix-Metro area is pretty hard and alkaline. I mix 40% RO water with tapwater in one of my tanks, but I have two that I run straight tapwater in and they do just fine.

If you want a great LFS for freshwater fish in the area, try Phoenix Tropical Fish. Scary neighborhood, great fish. :) And they have a sign stating that all the fish have been acclimated to the local water. Their PH is virtually identical to mine.

Ahh, so you do have an RO system at home? How does that work for you? I'm trying to find much info as I can since I want to install an RO system! Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. And yeah, you guys got some big big LFS over there, I can't hardly find anything that size over here, I went to one on Thomas Street/35 Ave? that is a huge one!

Actually, I buy my RO water from the local Water 'n Ice store, but I'm considering buying a small RO unit. I'm tired of having to run to the store every time I need to do a water change! :)

The only thing stopping me is that they waste a lot of water (only so much actually comes through the filter; the rest is wasted). And water has been in short supply in the valley over the past few years.

You must have gone to the Ocean Floor. Yes, that store is HUGE! It used to be a roller rink many years ago. They have just about anything you could possibly need. I've never bought fish from them but I have bought other things. Their tank prices are pretty good but they make up for it in accessories--ouch!

I live in Gilbert and would not consider using my tap water. I have a reef, so I send my husband to the water and ice store.

I'm looking at an RO system with Permeate Pump; they said it use the wasted water as a pumping energy, so thus less wasted go into the drain, want to mention this on here in case someone get any input, I'll send the company an email asking about this RO system for home, and also a water softener system will help too, do you think?

Back
Top Bottom