water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klc9100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my tap water is heavily clorinated. when i do water changes, i use prime, but it still scares me knowing i'm dumping all those chemicals in there along with the water. i have a bunch of empty gallon jugs (that had drinking water in them). if i fill them up with tap water and let them sit in my garage, until my next water change (once a week), whould the clorine be gone? should i cap the jugs or leave the tops off? would i still need to use prime?

klc
I store all of my water in heavy duty one gallon jugs.
I use empty AriZona ice tea jugs.
When I fill them, I dose each one with prime, let it set for a few days and use it for water changes.
One advantage to this is I can put the jugs in the bath tub and fill with warmer water so I can match the tanks temperature.
I discussed this in depth here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/is-a-python-in-my-future-water-problems-114023.html

It’s a little harder that way but I feel safer and the fish are doing fine.
Charles

Prime and tap water is perfectly fine for your fish. If you want to take additional precautions, feel free, but understand you're doing it for peace of mind and not necessity.

Chlorine will come out of solution after a day or so (depends on surface area, so expect longer if you're using milk jugs or similar). Some water companies use chloramine instead or in addition to chlorine, and that will not degas no matter how long you leave it sitting, so check with the water company first. Prime removes both, and I recommend using Prime in addition to aging the water anyway since it removes heavy metals and some other things. Don't worry about Prime left in the water. It breaks down in about 24 hours on its own, and has been amply demonstrated to be safe for fish.

so are you saying to treat each individual gallon jug of water with prime, or treat the tank with prime and then just dump the water in???

Many people have great success treating the tank and then dumping chlorinated water in. Just add the dose as if you were treating the whole tank, regardless of how much water you're changing.

I would never do that, and wouldn't recommend that you do it either, because it makes me nervous, but realistically Prime works fast and nearly all fish can tolerate chlorine at low concentrations for that short time.

I would treat each jug or container you use for water changes. I really would recommend 5-gallon buckets rather than gallon jugs though. They cost about $4 each, and give you better surface area for gas exchange plus a great deal of convenience.

Some water companies use chloramine instead or in addition to chlorine, and that will not degas no matter how long you leave it sitting, so check with the water company first.

Funny you say that, my water company just sent me a notice saying that they will be adding chloramines next month. I guess people on dialysis have to be aware of it by law. Also they mentioned FW aquariums, they told you to let it set out 24-48 hours before adding to the tank. I guess they were wrong giving that advice.

Many people have great success treating the tank and then dumping chlorinated water in. Just add the dose as if you were treating the whole tank, regardless of how much water you're changing.

I would never do that, and wouldn't recommend that you do it either, because it makes me nervous, but realistically Prime works fast and nearly all fish can tolerate chlorine at low concentrations for that short time.

I would treat each jug or container you use for water changes. I really would recommend 5-gallon buckets rather than gallon jugs though. They cost about $4 each, and give you better surface area for gas exchange plus a great deal of convenience.

gzeiger
Wel said.
El Paso water is treated with chloromines(sp)
After a PWC, I treat each jug with Prime ad then store the jugs with the caps OFF, for 5 or so days.
It works for me.
Charles

I received the same letter Meegosh! You know the LFS's will be selling out of Prime for the next month or two now.

Ah, not really. I was just kidding. Everyone in our area is getting the same letter warning them of the upcoming change to our water supply and I had a mental image of droves of frenzied aquarium nuts storming the pet stores for Prime like it was canned soup before a blizzard.

Squidward
I hope you have a HAPPY APRIL 1ST today.
You scared the **** out of me. I don’t buy enough to last more than a month or so.

LOL
Charles

Back
Top Bottom