Water readings after adding new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just seeing if this is normal. After my tank cycled with 5 zebra Danios AND seeded sponge from another aquarium, I added 6 cory catfish around late afternoon. Very early next morning I tested my water and got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates. Then the very next day I tested it again and got the exact same results. A week later I added 6 Bosseman rainbow fish, and the same thing happened very next day all the readings were perfectly good. It has now been 3 days since I added them and everything is still perfect. I know that the numbers I just described are exactly what I want to have happen. My question is, is it normal for your tank to fully get back to good levels that quickly after adding fish? Does that mean that my filter has a lot of very good bacteria in it that can filter it out real quick? Thanks for any advice

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What size is your tank and what filter are you using. Your filter may have enough good bacteria to break down the ammonia. But its best to only add a few new fish at a time ao your not over running your filter. Seems your doing fine ☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry, 75 gallon. Marineland Emperor 400 AND Marineland Penguin 350.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There's your answer Travis, you're running a 75 gallon tank and increases in ammonia will be diluted by all that water. I wouldn't try the same with a 20 gallon.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Maybe the ammonia get too much diluated in that big tank water volume... So you don't get readings. Plants may be consuming ammonia too..

Back
Top Bottom