Water softener nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So due to a move to a smaller locale my fresh water tank made the move over to my moms house. Little did I know there was a water softener hooked up.

The rhino pleco died today so I went over to test the water. 0ppm ammonia, nitrate, 10ish ppm nitrate. pH was over 8.6 on the api test kit. Didn't believe it so I tested it again, yup over 8.6

Took a sample home to test using my reef test kits and the dkh is over 20ppm, higher than my hannah checker will read. Fresh tap water sample is the same. Cant find my ph probe because its packed away somewhere but I'm guessing it's bad. Found out theres a water softener involved, salinity is 0.

I'm gonna do some 10% water changes tomorrow since I have to be to work in 7.5 hours.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend?

Is this water even safe to drink?

So due to a move to a smaller locale my fresh water tank made the move over to my moms house. Little did I know there was a water softener hooked up.

The rhino pleco died today so I went over to test the water. 0ppm ammonia, nitrate, 10ish ppm nitrate. pH was over 8.6 on the api test kit. Didn't believe it so I tested it again, yup over 8.6

Took a sample home to test using my reef test kits and the dkh is over 20ppm, higher than my hannah checker will read. Fresh tap water sample is the same. Cant find my ph probe because its packed away somewhere but I'm guessing it's bad. Found out theres a water softener involved, salinity is 0.

I'm gonna do some 10% water changes tomorrow since I have to be to work in 7.5 hours.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend?

Is this water even safe to drink?

Yes safe to drink. Look at the softener itself. There should be a bypass line running to an outdoor faucet or something of that nature. Use that water instead (if you want).

pH will not change, neither will kH. gH will be much higher using the bypassed water.

Back
Top Bottom