Water softeners and aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I believe I'm stuck. I have two options available to me to fill my new tank, either the water from my water softener, or the extremely mineral laden HARD water from the tap.

Any suggestions on what to do? I could buy water from the store, but the logistics of bringing home 50 gallons of water in my compact car confound me.

So basically, which is the lesser of two evils? HARD water or softened water? If it helps, the softener isn't supposed to use salt, but I'm sure they use sodium to clean out the media.

:?

What kind of fish do you intend to keep? If you have hard, alkaline water, you're a perfect candidate for an African Cichlid tank as they love this kind of water. If you're looking to keep fish that come from soft, acidic environments, it might be a problem.
Everything I have ever read says not to use water from a softener. It is artificially soft...ie it provides an unnatural environment for the fish. Since yours doesn't use salt, that may be different. I've never seen one that didn't use salt. Is there a source for RO/DI water? LFS perhaps? You might also consider mixing RO/DI or distilled water with your tap water to get the correct hardness/pH. Just some thoughts.
Logan J

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't even think about diluting the hard water with some distilled. That would probably do the trick, and I can just run the hose to the tank to fill it up. :D

Back
Top Bottom