Water Stats: What to Measure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm pretty fortunate in respect to my water supply. I've measured the pH once, and I don't even remember what it read. My fish do fine with whatever comes out of my tap, with Prime of course.

I have a 10 gallon that I'd like to set up. I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet, whether it's shrimp, Celestial Pearl Danios, or something else. I do, however, want to have as little maintenance as possible with respect to water stats. What I was planning to do was to test my water and see what kinds of critters would do well with my stats. The problem is, I don't know what to measure. I know the whole ammonia, nitrite, nitrate deal, but what else is there to measure, and how do I measure it? What kits would be necessary? pH? Hardness? Etc?

GH is a measure of calcium and magnesium ions - the stuff that water stains are made of. KH is the amount of carbonate ions and is related to the pH.

Honestly, if you aren't purchasing wild fish, your pH and hardness levels aren't going to be a big deal (unless they are off the charts). Your ammonia, NItrite, and Nitrate levels will be the same for all fish. 0 Ammonia and Nitrite with 10 to 30 Nitrate. I use the AP kit but only test every 6 months or so.

Back
Top Bottom