Water still testing high...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhath19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a tank about 12 days ago and the ammonia level was testing high yesterday, which is normal during cyling I'm told, and so I did a partial water change 10%. So I tested it today, and it's still the same. Is this still normal or should I do a larger PWC?

Sounds pretty normal to me.
12 days is not that long when it comes to a fish tank. How big is the aquarium, what do you have in it to cause the ammonia to rise, and how high is the ammonia at the moment. Changing 10 % of the water will only lower the ammonia by about 12 % which is will be hard to measure. Moreover, whatever is causing the ammonia to rise will probably continue to keep the ammonia rising.
Also, depending on your local water supply, there may be Chloramine in it. This will also give you a high ammonia reading.
I would continue with the partial water changes making sure not to disturb the tank unduly until it's cycled. If you have something very ammonia tolerant in the tank (you haven't mentioned whether it is saltwater or freshwater) such as Damsels or Danios, I'd be tempted to just leave the tank to cycle itself.
More info please! Jeff

Cafe Jeff said:
Sounds pretty normal to me.
12 days is not that long when it comes to a fish tank. How big is the aquarium, what do you have in it to cause the ammonia to rise, and how high is the ammonia at the moment. Changing 10 % of the water will only lower the ammonia by about 12 % which is will be hard to measure. Moreover, whatever is causing the ammonia to rise will probably continue to keep the ammonia rising.
Also, depending on your local water supply, there may be Chloramine in it. This will also give you a high ammonia reading.
I would continue with the partial water changes making sure not to disturb the tank unduly until it's cycled. If you have something very ammonia tolerant in the tank (you haven't mentioned whether it is saltwater or freshwater) such as Damsels or Danios, I'd be tempted to just leave the tank to cycle itself.
More info please! Jeff

I have 5 freshwater fish in the tank (3 guppies, 2 swordtails) and it's a 5 gallon tank. How often should I do the PWCs and how much?

Those are pretty hardy fish.
I wouldn't change more than 10 % every other day, making sure to let the tap water stand for at 24 hours even with dechlorinator.
It's quite a small tank and by changing more than 10 % I think you could end up doing more harm than good through stressing the fish and disturbing the substrate.
Also, be careful if you are going to use one of the chemicals for removing ammonia. They can also have a bad effect on oxygen levels. Anyway, you also haven't said: how are the fish doing? Jeff

Cafe Jeff said:
Anyway, you also haven't said: how are the fish doing? Jeff

They are doing great, I don't notice any signs of stress or disease.

Menagerie said:
What are your exact ammonia level and nitrite levels?

Well with the test kit ammonia is .09ppm after using the formula and table to figure out the exact amount of ammonia and Nitrate is 0ppm.

0.09 is not that bad. When ammonia spikes, it could easily hit 2+. Keep a watch on the fish and the water parameters. Remember, you need to leave some ammonia in in order for the bacteria to grow and convert it into nitrite. Then the nitrite will peak, and then you will have nitrates.

If the fish are happy, I'd keep an eye on them until they are less so. Then it will be time to act.

Back
Top Bottom