Water stinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tratcliffe44

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal tank. I have has it set up for about 1 1/2 yrs. but my water is smells funny. All my chem levels are always good. I have tried doing major water changes.
Do you all have any ideas?
If I got another whisper filter to hang off the back do you think that would help?? I only have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The water is just carrying extra nutrients, you could always run extra carbon if the smell is THAT bad.

Your Tank Water

I have a 55 gal tank. I have has it set up for about 1 1/2 yrs. but my water is smells funny. All my chem levels are always good. I have tried doing major water changes.
If I got another whisper filter to hang off the back do you think that would help?? I only have one.

Hello tra...

I keep several 55 gallon tanks and for the tank chemistry to be stable, at least half the water must be changed at least every 2 weeks, more and more often is better. Large, frequent changes remove the bulk of the dissolved wastes that can make the water smell. The wastes left in the tank are used by the plants and diluted in all the new replacement water.

Next time you do a water change, look at the color of the old water. If you're not changing the water often enough, the old water is an amber or yellowish color. That's dissolved fish wastes. I change a lot of tank water and change it often. The old water coming out of my tanks isn't much different than the new. That's because there isn't much dissolved waste built up.

By changing a lot of tank water and doing it frequently, there's no time for wastes to build up before it's time to do the next change. So, the fish and plants always live in pure water conditions.

B

Did this just start or does it always smell funny? What's your water change schedule?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't tell how long it's been smelling. Because I can not smell correctly.
I change water every three to four weeks. I guess I have to do better in water changes.
But I do have a gravel filter with two power head pumps. It filters about 75% of my gravel super clean.
I'll try running extra carbon and I will stay on water changes every 14 days.
But all my chem levels have been really good.

Making more frequent changes will certainly help. I would try weekly and see if that improves the smell.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can try weekly till the smell goes away. I've been eating to get a 2nd whisper filter. But I'm lacking on funds for my tank right now.

It could be the water conditioner you're using. I had the same problem, then I switched conditioner brands and it smelled better. It could also be other chemicals you're putting in the tank. Are you putting anything in there besides conditioner?

Maybe up the wc's and gravel vacs..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom