water temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon native tank that houses sunfish and a bullhead. I have a few plants in there that don't require a lot of light (sorry I don't recall the names, but I know they aren't java types). I don't light the tank directly and have no heat for it either. I am thinking of lighting half the tank for a few hours a day but have no intention of heating it. How is plant health affected by the water temp. I doesn't matter too much if they don't grow fast. I just don't want to kill them from it being too cold. The tank shouldn't get below 60 this winter. It is a little cooler than the air temp. About 65 - 70 F at the moment.

Interestingly enough...there are quite a few plants native to the U.S. that will do very well in an unheated tank. I can't think of any, though, that won't require a bit more light than it sounds like you're going to give your tank.

I was visiting Minnesota a couple of summers ago and dropped by my in-law's place on Otter Tail. There is some absolutely GORGEOUS Foxtail in that lake along with a number of other types of plants that will undoubtedly thrive in a well-lit, cool-water tank. They're probably seasonal though...can't confirm this personally but it would make sense that the plants die back in the winter.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom