water temp @ 96.8 - how slowly should I bring it down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Id get another marineland stealth heater, I have a 150w and it's never failed. You said yours was an older model, and didn't have a temp dial or light, hopefully they'll give you the newest model, instead if the older model you have.

May not have explained it right before - his heater had a temperature dial (not the old school low - medium - high) but it did not have a light to indicate whether it was on. Think it was about 18 months old but I'd noticed that the newer models of the Pro have a light on the temp dial.

Sorry, didn't catch that. The new stealths do have an adjustable dial from I think 70-86. And they have 3 LEDs that indicate wether or no their heating. If it's heating its red if it's off then it's green.
May not have explained it right before - his heater had a temperature dial (not the old school low - medium - high) but it did not have a light to indicate whether it was on. Think it was about 18 months old but I'd noticed that the newer models of the Pro have a light on the temp dial.

I don't know why these heaters don't have a thermistor resistor on it or a heat link that melts when the temerature goes over 85 or 86 degrees and just opens the circuit so that it won't heat pass that temperature. They(the manufaturer) knows that it's going to be used to heat an Aquarium and that fish can't survive pass that tempurature. It seems that would be a cheap safety circuit to have on a heater.

I don't know why these heaters don't have a thermistor resistor on it or a heat link that melts when the temerature goes over 85 or 86 degrees and just opens the circuit so that it won't heat pass that temperature. They(the manufaturer) knows that it's going to be used to heat an Aquarium and that fish can't survive pass that tempurature. It seems that would be a cheap safety circuit to have on a heater.

You're right, that seems like a fairly-brilliant yet pretty simple solution to what I'm sure amounts to a lot of complaints for the manufacturers. Do you know if any of the high-end brands have that?

I think they do, I know most that are digital are computer chip controlled and the chip wont go past a certain code without shutting off first.

Non of those have the feature that I talked about. The controller would be a safe backup as the chances of both the heater and the controller going bad at the same time is slim.

Wouldnt that damage the heater by opening the circuit thus having to replace it... HMmm good scheme to make safety heaters that burn out pass a temp... plus it would be cheaper since people will keep on buying it.... u should patent that you might make some big bucks

Well, If the heater stuck in the on position before the warranty period was up the company would just replace the heater. After the warranty it would really save you bucks by not killing all your tank inhabitants. I already make big bucks, I'll let you patent the idea.LOL

Last edited:
Wanted to say thanks again for the advice & support! Don't know that the two fish left are back to normal but both seem to be doing better. Left the lights on for a few hours and noticed that the convict was out a bit more and that the salvini has dug up a few bunkers!

Back
Top Bottom