Water temp. during PWC's...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgarMedina1010

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering when I do a water change how do I make sure I have the water the same temperature as the tank?, i have already read not to adjust the temperature at the faucet...so how do i do it? Thanks in advance.

maxwell1295 said:
Uhhhhh.....you adjust it at the faucet. :wink:
Really?...hm, thats how i've been doing it, but i read somewhere that when you do that you get some unwated stuff into the water...thanks

I guess it's possible if you have leaky tubes in your hot water heater. I don't think the chances of harming fish by mixing hot and cold tap water are very high.

that is what i do. I adjust the faucet to max one or the other and then adjust the other that way i achieve the proper temperature then i turn on the python to send the water back.

If you are sending the water back via Python, how do you add dechlorinator? Does it not need to be done right away? Is it okay to walk back to the tank and then add it?

Just at the Prime or whatever dechlorinator you use to the water at the output of the python right before you start adding the water and it should mix itself just fine.

I do not think it is imperative that it be at any particular sec before or after you start just in that close time frame.

I just use the faucet to get the right temp. It doesn't need to be perfectly the same, with your finger, you can tell withing a degree or 2.

I use a python and put a thermometer in the stream of the python and match the temp as close as I can and add a declor. right before refill - dosing enough to treat the full tank . Also I use the cold water and add hot to bring the temp up. With a 125 I can put a good dent in a hot water boiler.

Fortunately for me, I live in Southern California along the beach. We get pretty mild winters, so I normally just leave the water sitting at room temperature in buckets to bring it up to temperature. That gets it to at least 70 degrees. I may kick it up a notch by turning on my room heater at night when I'm sleeping anyway. Yeah, I think anything under 70 is cold, and I am still using buckets. I can't figure out how to remove the cap to get to the threads in the bathroom sink.

I also put my water containers at room temperature and let them sit for at least a day before the water change. Unless you're dumping in 20 degree water, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Turn on hot, turn on cold, fill container, have a sammich.

dsmalls,
here to help! :)

if i'm not around, and my mom does it, my water my jump to 84 or sink to 72, never lost a fish though, not that i condone you to do it, but a few )not a big jump) shouldn't hurt most fish

Back
Top Bottom