Water temp Problem !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The water temperature in my tank keeps rising to 28+ during the day and drop back down to 26 if ti is a cold night.

Tank has 2 18W flurecent bulbs, a UV unit and a FX5 filter, 2 air units.

My question is - how can I keep the tank at a steady temperature as I fear that the outside temp rises so will the tank !!!!

I have various tanks (40 - 500ltr) but this is the first corner tank and the only one with a problem, it is not located by any heat sources or in direct light. The only wat I can keep the tank at 26 degrees is to take the top of the tank off and use a fan to blow across the top of the tank.

Am I going to need a cooler and if so any suggestions ?

Welcome to AA!

What size is the troublesome tank?

I think I'm interpreting this to say that the heaters are set at 26 degrees, is that correct? If so, I'd drop those down a bit, to 24 or so. The lower initial temperature will help the high for the day not be so high. 2 degree swing isn't really that bad actually.

Things you can try. It appears you have a fully enclosed top. that's not really necessary, and I run all my tanks open top.

The tank is 250Ltr, I have tried setting the temp below 26 but the water temp still increases over a couple of days and now it is slightly warmer outside the temp is at 27 all the time and rises during the day. The heaters are the new fluvel digital ones and I have tested their accuracy and they appear correct.
I presently leave the top open with only the lights over the tank but the heat still increases, (have to cover with a fine net as some of the fish like to jump out of the water at feeding time). I am a little perplexed by this tank as my rectangular tanks do not seem to suffer the same problem. I have altered the pump flow to see if this would help but no difference. If I slowly carryout a 20% water change the temp will drop to 26 when at 28 but this only last for 4-5 hours before it starts to rise.
The fish do not like the temp at 28 and too many water changes are going to destroy the filter bacteria.
Any ideas appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom