Water Test Results!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kora_the_lone_koi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I got my test results on my 10gal FW. Seriously I'm not lying these are the real results and I had them professionaly tested. pH 6.0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 2.5 and Ammonia 0. I bought some pH buffer to bring up the pH a little for my koi.

Kora, I would advise against the pH buffer, it will end up inducing more stress for the fish, and can potentially cause an algae outbreak.

It is better to have consistent pH that may be a little shy of optimum then try to dial in the "perfect" pH that will end up causing a yo yo effect, which can stress / kill fish.

It looks as if the tank is cycled, and things are looking ok for now. I would expect the nitrate reading to be a little higher than that with your tank, but it is what it is. Did you buy a test kit to use at home?

No I didn't test for those I brought it in to my pet store to have things tested(they specilize in the fish depot) and had them test it although I am going to buy a testing kit.

Crushed coral will bring the PH up naturally but I would wait until you get a test kit so you can see what the PH is of your tap water.
I suspect your Nitrate is 25ppm, that sound more realistic and well within the accepted range. I don't know of any test kits that test nitrate to that low acurately.
Sounds good, PH is a bit low but livable as long as it doesn't change alot.

Well the man told me that the Nitrate was between 0 and 5, he even showed me the strip. How often should I test after I get the kit?

I would test every other day for the first week and if the numbers hold twice a week after that with your load.

Kora, I would advise against the pH buffer, it will end up inducing more stress for the fish, and can potentially cause an algae outbreak.

It is better to have consistent pH that may be a little shy of optimum then try to dial in the "perfect" pH that will end up causing a yo yo effect, which can stress / kill fish.

+1

Btw, the general consensus is that strip testers are inaccurate and should be avoided. If your planning on getting a tester, most people recommend the api master kit.

Yep... when you buy a kit, buy a liquid reagent kit (such as the API Freshwater Master kit). Worth the extra time.

All that so an API Freshwater Master kit, test every other day for the first week until the numbers hold then every 2 weeks, got it.

I second the API Freshwater Master kit, well worth it.
Pay special attention to the instructions on the nitrate test, it has to be done exactly like they say.

Back
Top Bottom