Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Water test results

After killing my cycle when I stained my tank to change my substrate from gravel to sand, I am now trying to do a fish in cycle. I have been doing 50% water changes everyday to keep ammonia levels down. I currently have a cichlid 60 gallon tank. I would like to post my daily test results and get your opinions. Another user suggested that I do a 24/48 hour aged water test which I am also doing. I have the water in a Tupperware container with the tank water. Here is a photo of my test results from this morning. Thank you in advance for your help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1684199152.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	183108  

Old 06-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are these results before or after a water change? I would do another 50%wc if you can manage it because your ammonia is on the high side and you definitely have nitrites. What are you using as your water conditioner? If your not using Prime or Amquel Plus, I would suggest switching as soon as possible. Either will help limit the effects of toxins up to 1ppm temporarily between your water changes. Have lots of patience in the meantime!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Least you have Nitrites! LOL I don't even have those yet! But yeah I found while doing the fish in cycle 95% water change is best. I was afraid to do a 100% cause I have fish in there. But your results are looking good! Just get that ammonia under your thumb and you'll get there!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Are these results before or after a water change? I would do another 50%wc if you can manage it because your ammonia is on the high side and you definitely have nitrites. What are you using as your water conditioner? If your not using Prime or Amquel Plus, I would suggest switching as soon as possible. Either will help limit the effects of toxins up to 1ppm temporarily between your water changes. Have lots of patience in the meantime!
No that was this morning. I did the 60% water change yesterday afternoon. This was the results after that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1158801689.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	183125  
Old 06-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
I am using prime as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianSlane View Post
Least you have Nitrites! LOL I don't even have those yet! But yeah I found while doing the fish in cycle 95% water change is best. I was afraid to do a 100% cause I have fish in there. But your results are looking good! Just get that ammonia under your thumb and you'll get there!
Ya I know. The nitrites are just showing up. I think a 95% would stress the fish way to much lol.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

( >.< Sorry I should've corrected my post because I completely miss added my math this morning. V.V I did a 75% change)
Old 06-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
( >.< Sorry I should've corrected my post because I completely miss added my math this morning. V.V I did a 75% change)
Oh ok lol
Old 06-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I didn't have my coffee yet.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I didn't have my coffee yet.
Does it appear that it is going through another cycle? The water has been very cloudy making me think that there is a spike in bacteria.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Whenever I have doubts I usually test. There isn't any harm in doing another test if you think there was another spike. It's better safe then sorry. But also you want to make sure you have enough ammonia and nitrite so your Good bacteria have some munchies to snack on. If you get rid of all your ammonia and nitrite then your Good guys won't have much to eat. The only time you should worry is when the ammonia gets to .50 or higher because that is highly toxic. .25 is toxic yeah but its enough for the Good guys to feed on.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Whenever I have doubts I usually test. There isn't any harm in doing another test if you think there was another spike. It's better safe then sorry. But also you want to make sure you have enough ammonia and nitrite so your Good bacteria have some munchies to snack on. If you get rid of all your ammonia and nitrite then your Good guys won't have much to eat. The only time you should worry is when the ammonia gets to .50 or higher because that is highly toxic. .25 is toxic yeah but its enough for the Good guys to feed on.
I haven't been able to get under .5 my test all show between .5 and 1.0. My tap water has .25 to begin with.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Latest water test.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1918931446.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	183242  
Old 06-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

6/29 water test. 1125 am

PH 7.5
Ammonia .5
Nitrite .5
Nitrate .5
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1940264347.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	183301  

Tags
test, test results

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com