Water test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbirath001

Aquarium Advice Freak
After killing my cycle when I stained my tank to change my substrate from gravel to sand, I am now trying to do a fish in cycle. I have been doing 50% water changes everyday to keep ammonia levels down. I currently have a cichlid 60 gallon tank. I would like to post my daily test results and get your opinions. Another user suggested that I do a 24/48 hour aged water test which I am also doing. I have the water in a Tupperware container with the tank water. Here is a photo of my test results from this morning. Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Attachments

• image-1684199152.jpg
    image-1684199152.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 50
Are these results before or after a water change? I would do another 50%wc if you can manage it because your ammonia is on the high side and you definitely have nitrites. What are you using as your water conditioner? If your not using Prime or Amquel Plus, I would suggest switching as soon as possible. Either will help limit the effects of toxins up to 1ppm temporarily between your water changes. Have lots of patience in the meantime! :)

Least you have Nitrites! LOL I don't even have those yet! But yeah I found while doing the fish in cycle 95% water change is best. I was afraid to do a 100% cause I have fish in there. But your results are looking good! Just get that ammonia under your thumb and you'll get there!

Are these results before or after a water change? I would do another 50%wc if you can manage it because your ammonia is on the high side and you definitely have nitrites. What are you using as your water conditioner? If your not using Prime or Amquel Plus, I would suggest switching as soon as possible. Either will help limit the effects of toxins up to 1ppm temporarily between your water changes. Have lots of patience in the meantime! :)

No that was this morning. I did the 60% water change yesterday afternoon. This was the results after that.

Attachments

• image-1158801689.jpg
    image-1158801689.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 46

I am using prime as well.

Least you have Nitrites! LOL I don't even have those yet! But yeah I found while doing the fish in cycle 95% water change is best. I was afraid to do a 100% cause I have fish in there. But your results are looking good! Just get that ammonia under your thumb and you'll get there!

Ya I know. The nitrites are just showing up. I think a 95% would stress the fish way to much lol.

( >.< Sorry I should've corrected my post because I completely miss added my math this morning. V.V I did a 75% change)

Whenever I have doubts I usually test. There isn't any harm in doing another test if you think there was another spike. It's better safe then sorry. But also you want to make sure you have enough ammonia and nitrite so your Good bacteria have some munchies to snack on. If you get rid of all your ammonia and nitrite then your Good guys won't have much to eat. The only time you should worry is when the ammonia gets to .50 or higher because that is highly toxic. .25 is toxic yeah but its enough for the Good guys to feed on.

Whenever I have doubts I usually test. There isn't any harm in doing another test if you think there was another spike. It's better safe then sorry. But also you want to make sure you have enough ammonia and nitrite so your Good bacteria have some munchies to snack on. If you get rid of all your ammonia and nitrite then your Good guys won't have much to eat. The only time you should worry is when the ammonia gets to .50 or higher because that is highly toxic. .25 is toxic yeah but its enough for the Good guys to feed on.

I haven't been able to get under .5 my test all show between .5 and 1.0. My tap water has .25 to begin with.

Latest water test.

Attachments

• image-1918931446.jpg
    image-1918931446.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 21
6/29 water test. 1125 am

PH 7.5
Ammonia .5
Nitrite .5
Nitrate .5

Attachments

• image-1940264347.jpg