Water testing/cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCUnderwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been doing this about 6 months now. I started with a 10 gal and now I have a almost cycled 30 gal. I'll be honest. I've never tested a drop of water. I've had a few fish die but only one at a time and I only one of them actually looked sick before they died.

I do pwc often especially during cycling and water is always crystal clear. I have a penguin 200 filter and a small bubbler. I rinse my filter when needed and I'm always on top of my pwc.

I see a lot of people talk about how important it is to test and make sure the levels are good and I have never done so and have never had major any problems.

Is water testing honestly that important or is it overrated?

It's not overrated but some rely too much on a test kit to dictate a water change and I'll go as far as saying some obsess with testing water parameters. You're on the right track as far as water changes, nothing can replace the benefits of a pwc, More importantly during cycling.
I, like you don't rely or use any test kits other than ammonia occasionally and only when I start a new tank. My fish usually die only of old age and once I had a very long power outage I lost a couple.
I understand the importance of cycling and what a tank goes through during that time, but again water changes are the key to a successful tank and especially during a cycle, I always did a fish in cycle with lots of water changes.

When cycling I tested religiously. Now I test before my WC, and the day after. I test ammonia and nitrite as precaution. I test pH to verify steady pH and test nitrate so that I can have an idea of what is going on in there. Sometimes I'll test randomly just because. Obviously it works for you not testing. Just because you don't take a test doesn't mean you wouldn't pass. It interests me and I like to know what's up with my water. It's just a pat on the back when the test results are good :)

I suppose if I ever have a major problem I'll start testing but I seem to have a pretty happy and healthy tank

Happy and healthy is good. Testing when something goes wrong can give you answers. IMO I would like to have a reference of what was, then compare to what it is, then maybe have some help on solving the problem.

Testing the Tank Water

I've been doing this about 6 months now. I started with a 10 gal and now I have a almost cycled 30 gal. I'll be honest. I've never tested a drop of water. I've had a few fish die but only one at a time and I only one of them actually looked sick before they died.

I do pwc often especially during cycling and water is always crystal clear. I have a penguin 200 filter and a small bubbler. I rinse my filter when needed and I'm always on top of my pwc.

I see a lot of people talk about how important it is to test and make sure the levels are good and I have never done so and have never had major any problems.

Is water testing honestly that important or is it overrated?

Hello MC...

Just because the tank water looks clear, doesn't mean there isn't harmful nitrogen in the water. It would be good for your fish for you to test the tank water weekly to stay ahead of any toxins that could build up in the tank water. Smaller tanks really need a 50 percent water change weekly. Adding a good filtering, floating plant like Hornwort would help maintain a stable, healthy water chemistry between water changes.

B

I understand clear water doesn't mean much. I've had great luck just staying on top of my pwcs and I've never done any testing or had any problems. I'll keep doing it that way unless I start having some issues

I'm with you. There aren't many hobbyist test kits I would trust anyway. I have been charged with maintaining intensively farmed fish in recirc systems and rarely tested...... and rarely had problems. It surprises me that most hobbyists test for the usual ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, but ignore dissolved oxygen - the biggest limiting factor to any closed system.

Back
Top Bottom